No announcement yet.

New to cauliflowers!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SR, I've got a few Romanesca seeds spare if you want to give them a try.

They were going great guns last year until the Caterb*****ds got them (first year growing/holes in nets too large/nets touching plants - doh!).

Let me know if you want them.

Comment

Thanks, I will pm you. Are you looking for any particular seeds?
      AKA Angie

Comment

Have just pm'd you
        AKA Angie

Comment

and I've just PM'd you back!

Comment

new to cauliflowers!!

I did some romanesco last year. I was short on space so cut the buddliah (sp?)
            down to a 2' stump. Just before the curds came, the plant was so big we couldn't see the butterfly bush! (I can spell that one).
            If you just want a small cauli. (well, mine were), try "purple graffiti". They are a lovely purple/black colour, but they boil out to denim blue when cooked. Tasted excellent.
            ================================================
            There's a pleasure in being mad that none but madmen know. (anon)
            There's pleasure sure in being mad that only madmen know - Anon

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, never heard of that one either. Coming across so many different varieties on this forum. I will make a note of it.
              AKA Angie

Comment

If you steep your veggies in salted water for 10 mins before cooking any creepy crawlies should exit.
                If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

new to cauliflowers!!

Dobies seeds stock romanesco, purple graffiti, various whites, and some orangey ones if you want to play with something different.
                  There's pleasure sure in being mad that only madmen know - Anon

Comment

Thanks for that eco-chic, I was well pleased I'd grown cauliflower for the first time - but the number of caterpillers! I think I'll net them better this year as well!

Comment

Can anyone offer advice if I'd be able to grow caulis in pots this year? I have no space for them on the patch...

Its the all year round variety
                      Serene she stand amid the flowers,
                      And only count lifes sunny hours,
                      For her dull days do not exist,
                      Evermore the optimist

Comment

Oh I never knew that. That's a brilliant suggestion, thanks Eco-chic, it was pretty gross!!
                        AKA Angie

Comment

Hi
                          I just found this on the internet

Never let anyone tell you that it's impossible to grow cauliflowers in containers. You can because we've done it in the past. Just make sure you use a mini cauliflower variety, and give them plenty of space for their roots. We discovered this when container gardening during the first time we'd harvested cauliflower. We pulled the whole plant from the container. The roots had woven themselves so thickly through the potting mix that there was absolutely nothing left at all in the container. We had to shake the potting mix out of the roots for a couple of minutes. The roots really shocked us. But when we cooked our cauli it tasted beautiful!

Hope it helps
                          AKA Angie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X