X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• growing from seed- silly questions

HI All

Right here goes,

I am growing veggies from seed this year for the first time (normally but the plants from local nursery). In the next week or so i'm planning to sow
    Spring onions, tomatoes, chillis, peppers and Aubergine, oh and dwarf sweet peas.

I have my compost indoors to warm up and indoor unheated prop to go on my window sills,

Does it make any difference if i sow seeds in modules or trays and how do i decide which? I read the sprion oniion post so will follow thoses instructions but would like advice on the rest, Also if use modules how many seeds do sow in each?

Claire

Originally posted by spennysaint View Post
    Does it make any difference if i sow seeds in modules or trays ... Also if use modules how many seeds do sow in each?
    1) it's a bit too early for aubergines

2) it doesn't really make a difference, but I prefer modules (no pricking out to do)

3) You want one plant per cell (ish ... spring onions can have a couple) - but not every seed will germinate. I am tight so I sow 2 or 3 per cell, and then you pick off (kill) the weakest, leaving the strongest one to grow on
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I prefer modules Spennysaint. It's up to you how many seeds you plant in each. Basically you can plant 1 seed and accept what you get. Or plant 3 seeds and keep the best seedling. There can be a big difference between them.
      Tomatoes, chillies, peppers and aubergines are all tender plants so can't go outside until all risk of frost is passed. Do you have indoor space for them until then ?
      If you are going to grow them indoors then you can plant them now if you like. I think there is enough light for them.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Yep have some windowsills, not all are that sunny though. I think i'll go for modules with a few seeds in each for the ones where i've got lots of seeds and a fone in each for those where i have less seeds. Think i might do some peas too

Comment

You can cut the front out of a cardboard box and line the back of it with some tinfoil so that it reflects light onto your seedlings and they won't grow towards the light if you put it on the windowsill.
          Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
            You can cut the front out of a cardboard box and line the back of it with some tinfoil so that it reflects light onto your seedlings and they won't grow towards the light if you put it on the windowsill.
            Great tip, cupcake*! I shall have to try that in my conservatory - not only will it improve the light levels, but it will help to hide my seedlings from the cats

* You should post it on the "Sowing and planting tips" thread for the April issue of GYO!

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ues_27316.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X