No announcement yet.

Seed fetish?!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I take it to a new level...I recently got a new seed box for mine. It is actually a wooden cutlery box, with 4 sections [it has 'couvers' on the side], and I've got 1 section each for root, fruit, flower and leaf [as per moon gardening]. It has a wooden lid for each section and I've now got labels for each moon section stuck on the top.

And, I can't stop buying them...but if they don't fit in the box I'm stopping myself getting any more.

Comment

I've also gone down the spreadsheet route.
      I keep mine, sorted by type, in old ice-cream tubs.

I have decided that this year I'm going to clear out the things I either decided I didn't like last year or that I can't be bothered with growing again as they either got eaten or were too much hassle!
      ---
      Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by fwuffydragon View Post
        I've also gone down the spreadsheet route.
        I keep mine, sorted by type, in old ice-cream tubs.

I have decided that this year I'm going to clear out the things I either decided I didn't like last year or that I can't be bothered with growing again as they either got eaten or were too much hassle!
        Why not add your name to the Pass the Parcel Seed Swap list and give them to someone who may be able to make use of them?
        Tammy x x x x
        Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

Comment

i've got to confess to being a seedaholic too. i can't resist a bargin either so when i went into my local store of wilkinsons last week and they had got seeds at half price i couldn't resist. i brought some more vegetable seeds and i also brought some flowers seeds.

I have also requested most of the current seed catalogue and love it when they arrive i have to study them in detail.

i have brought an expandable file to keep all my seeds in and i'm now running out of space to keep them all!

Comment

I keep all my packets in one of those A4 consatina folders with about 24 sections. A section for each month for veg seeds, some for flowers, some for spares, etc.
            Got mine from WHSmith for only a couple of quid.

Not really bothered with the packets being airithgt before, so may have to go through and bag them up.
            BW
            James

I like to try, might not get far, but I like to try.

Comment

Well, I've definitely got seed envy after seeing all the varieties that everyone is growing. I had no idea of the choices available!

My mum, myself and my 15 yr old son are relative beginners but I reckon we'll be right up there beside you all in the addiction stakes soon. (If not already - we're salivating over the Real Seed catalogue at present).

Comment

I just love rummaging in my seed box!!

On Sunday I decided to sort out it out (get everything back into sewing-month order, chuck out the ones that should have been sewn before 1845,that sort of thing), and I commented on how many seeds I've got to my OH. Then I promptly spent £25 online at Kings Seeds. I'm not sure my lottie is big enough to grow what I've already got let alone the new ones!

Comment

I only started growing last year and already the seed (old huge biscuit tin) is stuffed and barely shuts. Even oH was surprised when he caught a glimpse inside as I was sending some off for grapes. Blimey, he says, what a lot of seeds!

I did try and explain how I really do need them all! But he clearly thought I was a bit nuts. At least the sho and handbag collection here has dwindled as I am usually in wellies and a manky old coat now

Comment

How do I join the pass the parcel thing? I have some I could do with getting shot of.
                    Does it work? I thought we had lost one

Comment

BLIMEY !

I take a short foray into the 'sensible' side of the Grapevine, and what do I find? All the same nutters buried beneath mountains of seed packets lol .

All this talk about 'Ice Cream Containers' and 'Concertina Files' for storage makes me realize I've a long long way to go. Although, my plastic bag has split, so maybe it's time to get something more substantial to hold my seed packets in - or maybe even get them in the flippin' ground.

When it warms up...

(I may even join the seed swap fetishists!)
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
                        How do I join the pass the parcel thing? I have some I could do with getting shot of.
                        Does it work? I thought we had lost one
                        We had 'lost' one. But we made it up again with the incredible generosity of others. Don't get me started!

Anyway - to get onto the swap - PM Finedon Dandy and Tammy will add you onto the list.

Comment

[QUOTE=Glutton4...;360288]BLIMEY !

I take a short foray into the 'sensible' side of the Grapevine, and what do I find? All the same nutters buried beneath mountains of seed packets lol .

Oh Glutton, that did make me laugh

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I've created a plant database. Every time a parcel of seeds arrive I update it with the germination and cultivation notes from the seed packets. I'll add notes as I go along too.

Knowing how much seed I have (far too much for my little garden) isn't stopping me buying more. It just means I spot something and think 'Ooh, I don't have any of that'.
                            If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Oooooh a wooden seed box now that makes my mouth water. Off to ebay I go!!

Comment

Maybe I should set us up a social group!?
                                Tammy x x x x
                                Fine and Dandy but busy as always

God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

Stay at home Mum (and proud of it) to Bluebelle(8), Bashfull Bill(6) and twincesses Pea & Pod (2)!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X