Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radish - total failure (3rd year trying)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radish - total failure (3rd year trying)

After two years of failing to grow a single radish, I decided to take it really seriously this year. I invested heavily in new pots, soil, protective netting, et cetera. Every single seed that I planted came up and started off well. I made sure there was 4 inches (100 mm) between each seed. Twice a day I inspected every leaf and cleaned off any thing that should not have been there. My wife gave me “that look”. But, something has been eating the leaves and I don’t know what it is. I’m not talking about small holes, but in many cases, the whole plant has been chomped. I have made sure that snails and slugs can’t get at them. I have inspected the soil carefully and not seen any insect activity.
    At my wits end! I’d be grateful for any advice

Hi Dabbo,

Could you post a picture? My reflex was going to be slugs as they're ever so ingenious at getting around anything I ever try but if not then a piccy might help

Comment

I imagine it is indeed slugs and snails.
      The only way I know to guarantee outside slugs and snails can't get access to plants in pots is to suspend the pot above a big tray of water (essentially, build a moat around it), and even then there might already be some tiny slugs in the soil you used.

Comment

Hello & welcome to the forum how have you protected from snails because there’s usually always one? One way to find out for sure if slugs/snails,have a look at night with a torch,they always come back for more. When I have problems with something,I try a few different varieties at a time,at least one of them might grow

Comment

Hello and welcome, Dabbo.

I really feel for you. In my case, if it isn't flea beetles, it's harlequin bugs. In all my years of trying to grow radishes, I've hardly managed to eat any. Doesn't stop me buying packets of seeds every year, though.

Andraste is right: a picture would be helpful to see the type of damage and with any luck identify the culprit.

Comment

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. Is it likely slugs are living in the pot’s soil? btw, these were planted 33 days ago ☹️
              Last edited by Dabbo; 27-09-2023, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X