Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pruning Shrubs

Hello all,

I wasn't sure where to post this question, I hope this is the right place.

I am currently learning about pruning shrubs. I am quickly finding that a lot of people like their shrubs pruned so that they do not touch any other plants in the border. Personally, as a wildlife gardener, I think that shrubs should grow together to fill the area, with pruning used to keep shape and height in order. Thus reducing weeds and providing nesting sites and other habitats.
    I thought it was personal choice, but Im stating to notice that people think my way is wrong.

What is everyone's opinion on this? I'd love to know what your take is on it.

I garden the same way as you Suziebun I grow for wildlife and like my shrubs to merge together.
    My neighbour on the other hand keeps everything neatly trimmed in its own space and hates it when things grow bigger than the label says!
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
    Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

I quite like things merging together, but some things look better if they stand out. I have a crab apple with a lovely growth shape. I make sure there is nothing tall too close so I can see it clearly.

If you use a hoe to keep weeds down then space makes sense. I mostly hand weed, so space isn't necessary. Different strokes for different folks.
      Last edited by Babru; 04-09-2023, 06:12 AM.
      Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Thank you for your replies.

I feel less like I am doing something wrong now

Comment

How you prune is important. My neighbours who play at gardening just give everything a "haircut" with all branches cut to the same length, which will cause congestion. They should often be taking out some old stems completely with some shrubs.
          When I first moved here I bought a big RHS book on pruning, which told about routine and remedial pruning.
          I think you cannot beat a book as you learn things when flicking through that you don't on screen.
          These are big gardens and I told them not to clear and leave large areas. Now their weeds are growing even better!
          Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Your garden, your choice, the only thing I would say is, if the garden is in a housing scheme/estate, you keep it tidy
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
              How you prune is important. My neighbours who play at gardening just give everything a "haircut" with all branches cut to the same length, which will cause congestion. They should often be taking out some old stems completely with some shrubs.
              When I first moved here I bought a big RHS book on pruning, which told about routine and remedial pruning.
              I think you cannot beat a book as you learn things when flicking through that you don't on screen.
              These are big gardens and I told them not to clear and leave large areas. Now their weeds are growing even better!
              Agree totally about the RHS pruning book. I take it out to the garden and follow the instructions. Great for ornamental and fruit. Too easy to chop things at the wrong time....hey, why no flowers next spring ?!

Comment

No need to buy expensive books.
                Lots of great advice here, plus plenty of books in the library ..or even Google for advice.
                For Me... I prune my shrubs when I see them looking untidy...not in the winter though

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Not expensive if you buy second hand. My RHS hardback is £3.57 including delivery from awesomebooks.com right now. Means I am happy to take my copy outside with me as I assess what I'm thinking of tackling.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X