Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often should I water chilli plants in my greenhouse?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often should I water chilli plants in my greenhouse?

Hi,

I planted some cayenne and habeneros from seeds and they have slowly come through. The issue I have is that they are quite stunted and are sooo slow. I've not been watering very often as I read on a website not to but now I've just read somewhere else that underwatering is the main cause of slow growth (and they should be watered at least once a day. They are in a greenhouse and it's quite hot in there.

I bought another chilli today (scotch bonnet) from a garden centre which is growing very nicely and the soil was very damp.

Could someone please help me out?

Thanks,

Ed

You shouldn't let them sit in water as the roots will rot, but you should certainly try to keep the compost just moist for optimum growth.

The recommendation not to water them too much is for when the fruits are developing and ripening. Under-watering them a little at that stage will make them hotter (and also encourage them to ripen sooner), whereas watering more will results in milder chillies.
    Up until the fruits start swelling, though, you should be giving them a decent amount of water, as you want the plants to grow as quickly as possible.

Comment

Ed, are your chillis in large or small pots.
      You need to keep them on the right side of damp but not overwatered.
      How old are the plants?
      A little more information might help

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Potting on plants usually helps them grow a little bit more,if you haven’t potted them on…I water my peppers every third day,you can feel how heavy the pots are with water,if they’re light they need water

Comment

I also use the weight of the pot as a guide rather than a strict number of days. Chillis don’t like their feet in water and I let them dry out between watering rather than keeping them damp. I water mine less, even at this stage than my tomatoes but tend to cut back on watering more when they are setting fruit - bit of tough love. Really depends on how hot your greenhouse is. Mine gets very hot at times too, so I would say if I am watering my tomatoes every couple of days at the moment, chillis every 3 say, depending. I also get frustrated with the slow grow with chillis compared to my tomatoes, but they have perked up since I potted them on and I also give them a mild feed, although wouldn’t normally do that yet.
          Last edited by annie8; 12-05-2022, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Hi Ed! It sounds like you're having some trouble with your cayenne and habanero seedlings. It's great that you're seeking help, and I'll do my best to assist you!

Firstly, when it comes to watering, it's important to strike a balance between not watering enough and overwatering. Underwatering can certainly lead to stunted growth, but overwatering can cause root rot and other problems. In general, it's best to water your seedlings when the soil feels dry to the touch, but not completely parched.

Given that your seedlings are in a greenhouse and it's quite hot, they may require more frequent watering than usual. You could try watering them once a day and see if that helps with their growth. It's also important to make sure that they are getting enough sunlight, as this can also impact their growth.

It's interesting to hear that you bought another chili (a Scotch bonnet) from a garden centre that is growing nicely and had damp soil. It's possible that the soil for your cayenne and habanero seedlings is too dry, or that the soil for the Scotch bonnet was too wet. It's important to find the right balance of moisture for each plant.

In terms of the stunted growth, there could be a few reasons for this. It's possible that the soil is not providing the right nutrients, or that the seedlings are not getting enough light. It's also possible that they were planted too deeply, which can cause them to struggle with growth.

Overall, it's important to monitor your seedlings closely and make adjustments as needed. Try watering them more frequently and providing them with enough sunlight. If you're still having trouble, you could consider transplanting them to a different type of soil or adding some fertilizer to give them a boost. Good luck, and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any more questions!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X