Rhubarb is it too late?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb is it too late?

As a fairly new member to the allotment club i have a question for the more knowledgable amongst us. I have three rhubarb crowns which this year have done rather well. My dilemma is that in all the gardening books that we have say's not to consume the rhubarb produced after July. I have also been told by other gardeners that if the stalks are still red then they can still be edible even though the date is now in September. Stalks are still red and growing very well too. Any advice greatly recieved.Many thanks
    Nigel

I wonder if they say that so the crown has a chance to recover if it's been heavily picked?
    I picked some 2 wks ago from a plant which suddenly thickened up and it was lovely.
    Pretty soon the stems and leaves will start dying back and become rubbery and hollowed. Would be pretty yuk then!
    I'd say go ahead if it's got a decent crown, but don't take too much .
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Fill yer boots - I pick rhubarb up til the crown starts going backwards - and my crowns never seem to suffer the following season - quite the opposite in fact.But Nicos is right, do not strip the crowns bare, just pick the ripest stalks
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

The reason why is that the oxylic acid starts to travel down the stems from the leaves as the season goes on.
        [

Comment

Originally posted by Lesley Jay View Post
          The reason why is that the oxylic acid starts to travel down the stems from the leaves as the season goes on.
          Ahhh! Didn't know that. Something else I've learned on the vine
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Many thanks for the replies sorry but i have been away over the weekend and didn't get to check in till tonight. Looks like more yummy crumble this week for supper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X