Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acidic soil

Hi,
    We have just moved house, the garden is full of azaleas, heathers and other acid loving plants.
    Will bee friendly annuals etc thrive in this soil? can you recommend any bee friendly flowering plants,
    Thanks for your suggestions

It could be that the area local to the plants has been given ericaceous compost, I might have a peep over the garden fence to see if your neighbours gardens are the same, or get a test kit to check the soil. It would be a shame if you weren't able to grow your plants of choice.

Comment

Hi,
      I've already looked at other gardens, they all seem to be growing the same plants.
      I know I have to wait to see what comes up in spring, and there is room for some pots.

Comment

Hi there - welcome back!

I’ve had a bit of a goooogle and come across this site- and there’s loads of plants to choose from

https://beehappyplants.co.uk/for-bee...pe/acid-soils/
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks Nicos, that looks a great website, website, I've bookmarked it and subscribed!😊🐝🐝

Comment

^^^^you are welcome!..... exciting times having a new garden to create!...enjoy
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

My main recommendation for bee friendly plants is to grow things at either end of the season which do not need much looking after. Pollen bearing plants in the late winter early Spring like crocus and Pussy Willow and for the late autumn early winter common ivy for its nectar. In the Spring and Summer honeybees, if there are a range of flowers available, will go for the nectar with the most sugar in it, apple blossom for example or dandelions, and leave other flowers alone as not being sweet enough :-)

Comment

Blueberries should grow and will flower and produce fruit too.
                Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I have acid soil as well. All I can suggest is work with it rather than trying to grow stuff that is unsuitable. I find I have more of a selection which tolerate acid soil rather than alkaline soil. Enjoy your garden.
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sea Holly is good ( if a spikey little thing), Ice plants - great for autumn flowers. Ivy is good for late pollen too. FOr early then you can't beat the old Flowering Currants. Basically you want single flowers not the big double flowers - holly hock for instance - the double flowered are really big an blousey but not as good as the single flowered..

most of the plants you need will work on any soil pretty well.
                    Last edited by Mr Bones; 02-08-2022, 06:19 AM. Reason: Mod edit - choice of phrase
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X