Seeds to save now

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeds to save now

What seeds should I be saving, ready for next year. I know about broad and runner beans. I will hopefully have a greenhouse next year, so will save some pepper and chilli seeds.

What else?

I am a rank amateur SP1965 but at the moment I am gathering peas, calendula, tagetes, chives and basil. I have probably also got some tomatoes by accident, usually happens when I sow seeds in my own compost
    East Berkshire

There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments.

Comment

Do you grow flowers as well? I'm busy harvesting and in some cases, sowing seeds now, poppies, aquilegia, pansies and soon some sunflowers. Good time to take cuttings as well, trying some pinks this year.

Comment

You can save seeds from all your plants so long as they’re not F1’s. It should say on the packet if they are.
        Saved seeds are free seeds
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I wish I had enough space to regularly let some of the root veg seed Bren In Pots but somehow they all get harvested and eaten! Only collecting peas because I missed a few pods so let them go. But you are so right, good to know the provenance of your seed these days, seen some bad stories about growers seed variability this year.
          East Berkshire

Comment

Most of my edibles are grown from new seed I buy, I often use F1 so can't successfully keep seed

Comment

I save my favourite seeds Mostly it’s runners I bought the original seeds more than 10 years ago, other faves are Black cherry and san marzano Toms, chilli, peppers, telephone peas, lettuce self seeds easily without any input.
              Like Burnie I also save flowers.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Ah flowers Bren In Pots my Nemesis
                East Berkshire

Comment

So far this year have saved peas, sweet pea seeds, nigella and aqueligia. Will save other flowers as the seed pods form and probably tomatoes.

Comment

My radishes went over so I let them flower and have now saved the seeds
                    Saving tomatoes, chillis, sweet peppers and beans.
                    Flower seeds, dahlias, calendula, zinnia, sweet peas, pot marigold, tagates and nigella.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Oh and lupins. Got loads of new plants this year from last year’s seeds.

Comment

I have saved bean seeds, the first years' (2016) seed were very good, but the saved next year and subsequent years were smaller. This year, the beans died early. I suspect that cross-pollination or something has weakened the seedstock.

I think I may use new next year.

Parsnip seeds did really well this year. I saved maybe 4 plants and have had ample seed for all this year, and given lots away as well (all seem to have been successful). But I won't have any fresh to sew next year as they grow on a two-year cycle.

I've got some open-pollinated squash, some have come up like the squash that I saved the seed from, some haven't. I shall be very careful with the ones that look funny. (Cross-pollinated squash can be poisonous)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X