Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bell pepper??

Hi,

I'm very much a novice but always wanted to try growing my own vegetables. I planted seeds from a bell pepper in one side of a large pot and courgettes on the other side. I bought the courgette seeds but took seeds from a pepper I already had and planted them.

I now have some very large plants that don't seem to match any bell pepper plants when I look online. My courgettes are fine they are doing great now they are in my veg patch.

I am starting to wonder if these huge plants are actually peppers or if its some out of control weed I'm growing? Does anyone know what this is? I think I need to cut it back, if it isn't a weed that is. It's very large.

There are 3 in a row but one is particularly large. The leaves and stalks have a spike to them, nothing to bad but easier to wear gloves. The plants with yellow flowers

If anyone can help either confirm this is a pepper plant or not that would be a great help.

Thank you.

They're definitely not peppers.

They're some sort of Brassica (in the cabbage family), possible some sort of oriental salad leaf like mustard or mizuna, although they've run to seed.

Comment

Thank you ameno i really don't know how I've grown that! I used the seeds from inside a pepper. I will go look it up!

Comment

Originally posted by DBF083 View Post
        Thank you ameno i really don't know how I've grown that! I used the seeds from inside a pepper. I will go look it up!
        I imagine the seeds you sowed from the pepper either failed to germinate or got eaten by slugs or something shortly after coming up. These things then would have germinated from seeds which came from elsewhere, perhaps in compost you brought in, or maybe they were in bird seed.

Comment

Ah! Well I know I definitely did everything wrong when I planted them which was why I was shocked to have these big plants! Plus one was where my courgettes should have been which really confused me. My neighbours have a lot of bird seed so that must be it.

I will dig it out, although it is the most successful thing I've grown even it was a mistake

Thank you so much for your help.

Comment

Looks like rapeseed? Like ameno said, def some kind of brassica.

Comment

Originally posted by MelanieSW View Post
              Looks like rapeseed? Like ameno said, def some kind of brassica.
              I considered that to start with, but the leaves are wrong for rapeseed. It would probably have more flowers, too, were it rapeseed (that's what they're bred for, after all). Many brassicas have yellow flowers.

Comment

Whatever it is it's now flowering, so get it out (chop it off at ground level to retain the roots in the soil structure). Then place it in the compost heap or chop and drop where it is as a mulch. If the flowers set and seed you will have more next year. Hot compoting will ensure they all become unviable. Looks like a great way to grow organic mass for green manure or composting.

Comment

You should place your seeds deeper into the soil. I think the birds eat them and wind brought these seeds to your garden. Control what you plant from the start. Think everything will be great next time.

Comment

Pepper seeds are best started off indoors in the UK,for the right temperature for growth,they take so long to produce so need an early start. Plus then you know what they look like

Comment

Originally posted by BeatriceCallan View Post
                      You should place your seeds deeper into the soil. I think the birds eat them and wind brought these seeds to your garden. Control what you plant from the start. Think everything will be great next time.
                      They don't like being sown too deep, so if anything the opposite is more like: they were sown too deep and so died before they reached the surface.
                      As said above, though, they should be started in pots indoors.

Comment

They don't like being sown too deep
                        Are you sure? That should be my mistake really. Thank you for your good advice. I will try to sow not so deep if it will help me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X