Growing carrots in containers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing carrots in containers

I would like to grow some carrots in containers. I have the variety "Flyaway". What is the shallowest container I can use to grow them please.

It rather depends on how much water you are able to give them, but I would say a bare minimum of 8 inches. I have large tub about that deep and 2 feet wide, and carrots seem to do well enough in it as long as you keep them watered.
    A pot that shallow does need to be pretty wide, though, so that the overall volume of compost has enough water-holding capacity. if you have a deeper pot, you can get away with it being narrower.

Comment

Looking on Google they say Flyaway carrots grow 12 to 15 cm so allowing a bit of depth you can't go wrong following ameno's advice.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

A container I used was about 30cm deep & wide or a bucket size would be alright but give each seed about one & a half inch between each other. They grow tiny if they’re all compacted together.

Comment

I grow a few builders buckets of carrots starting some of early on the GH bringing them out doors when the weather improves. Its easy enough to cover the tops with netting to stop carrot fly damage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PHOTO-2020-05-25-10-15-32.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	758.4 KB
ID:	2499554
          Last edited by Bren In Pots; 15-06-2020, 08:18 AM.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X