Strawberry issues?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberry issues?

The oldest strawberry plant I've got is around 3 years old and the leaves on it are smaller than usual but still producung flowers. The stalk of the plant is covered in a thick bark/dead leaves material

Is it dying or do I need to transplant it?

There's a fair bit of dead material that could do with coming off and it looks like it's lacking in nutrients as well. I think I would start again, but if you want to try saving it, then maybe remove the flower stems and repot it in new compost.

Comment

Yes would agree, I clear away the dead and old leaves. Also just put some of mine in new compost and they really perked up.

Comment

Grow some new plants from the runners your old one puts out this year, would be my plan to have better plants next year.

Comment

OK thanks. the plant is producing runners instead it has produced flowers. I'll try and repot one of the stalks. This was the original strawberry plant and I've propergated 4 other plants from this one; all are doing better

Comment

you say the plant is around 3 years old so I'm assuming it could possibly be older. It's worth noting that strawberryplants will stay in maximum production for no more than three years after which they should be discarded. Most folks will plant some runners every year and at the same time discard the older ones. I personally plant two new rows and discard two rows every year and the strawberry bed moves round the garden into fresh ground accordingly.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X