Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hawthorns View Post
    i have just got my winter onion sets.
    radar yellow and electric red is anyone else trying these ?
    Yep, i'm trying Radar this year - never grown onions before. Was planning on putting them into modules so they get a good start then transplant them into the veg patch once they had got going as my soil is really clay-like.
    Jane,
    keen but (slightly less) clueless
    http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

I always pop a bag of coffee grounds in before any onions. Works for me.

Comment

I've done well on my onion sets for the last two years and I have not planted them out till October, same with the garlic.

Trying to see what happens with late planted onions from seed this year. Only this year the onions bolted and I'm told this is less like to happen from seed.
        I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

They haven't come in to our GC either. I am waiting on garlic bulbs rather than onions this year, but both are due together.

I think it was a bit later towards October that I planted mine last year (covered them with net so the birds couldn't pull them out) and they did well.

Comment

Got my onion and shallot sets today , plus garlic too. I will hold fire for a couple of weeks on planting them but thought id better grab them while they were in stock at the local GC.

I think the staff are relieved to get them an see the back of me so i don't keep popping in and saying , " are they here yet?, are they here yet?" like an annoying kid

Wren

Comment

Originally posted by hawthorns View Post
              i have just got my winter onion sets.
              radar yellow and electric red is anyone else trying these ?
              I grew Electric last winter, and they did ok - some large, some small plus a few bolters, but no worse than Red Baron! I'll do them again this year if the GC get them in.

Comment

I grew Electric the season before last and they performed much better than Red Baron. I bought them from Kings I think.
                Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

sounds like a few varieties of onion available .....

why are people buying garlic from garden centres? what's wrong with the garlic bulbs from sainsburys etc??
                  http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

sounds like a few varieties of onion available .....

why are people buying garlic from garden centres? what's wrong with the garlic bulbs from sainsburys etc??
                    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm waiting for the local market stall to get them in I reminded him on sunday.
                      Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                      and ends with backache

Comment

I've been to LBS Garden Warehouse today, and found packs of onion sets (T&M Unnamed variety) and garlic (Wight Cristo) for £1.29 a pack! Bargain!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X