Onion seed v sets

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
    ok that's it i'm going to grow mammoths next year, that will save loads of space i like onions
    Sorry Lynda, don't understand your logic there? Mammoth or Kelsae onions need to be planted at least 12" apart each way and the exhibition growers usually plant up to 18" apart each way. Space saving they are not!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

well, the logic is, i currently have approximately 10 sq feet of garden taken up by onion seedlings all looking decidedly like blades of grass, so i can just plant 6 giant onions, in a foot of ground each, use up less space, and still have a freezer full of onions (as long as they grow) .... see i may sound daft, but to me that is totally logical

Comment

i planted red karmen onion sets this year and they were very dissapointing only got to golf ball size then bolted also the leaves had a grey mould all over.

next year im going to sow bedfordshire champion from seed.

has anyone sown these before
        my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
          well, the logic is, i currently have approximately 10 sq feet of garden taken up by onion seedlings all looking decidedly like blades of grass, so i can just plant 6 giant onions, in a foot of ground each, use up less space, and still have a freezer full of onions (as long as they grow) .... see i may sound daft, but to me that is totally logical
          I know better than argue with female logic!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            I know better than argue with female logic!
            thats cos we is proper logical innit

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
              And now I've discovered the onion and root veg fertiliser - there'll be no stopping me.
              ???? I've been away from these forums for a bit and must have missed this. Do tell - I've got root veg galore and onions coming out of my... seed packets. Any help therefore gratefully received!

Thanks very much

Comment

Growing Success Organic Root Veg & Onion Fertiliser - Only £3.99 - Just Green

You didn't miss anything - it was my first mention of this product. Can't even remember where I bought it from [which is unusual for me]. but, just put 'onion and root veg fertiliser' into search engine and you'll find suppliers.

Comment

Thanks Zazen. I will give it another go. What varieties do you suggest grow well from seed?
                  ~
                  Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                  ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X