baby corn

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Bella and susieq100,

I took the plunge and pulled some of my minipop off the plant as the tassles on some were starting to go brown. They're difficult to take off (I hope I haven't damaged the plant, it's supposed to be possible to harvest more than once a season). Mine are totally edible and sweet so it should be possible to harvest now.

Comment

Thanks Minerva

Aha - so lunch today then!

Comment

Minipop

Hi Minerva and Susieq100,

I also took the plunge and have harvested both minipop and big sweetcorn. Minipop are great, not as big as I had expected, I thought they would be nearly as big and the others, but they look exactly the size they should be, so well chuffed. The big sweetcorn was fantastic too. My kids thought it was facinating peeling them. They keep going back to the plants to see if anymore are ready!!!

Bella x

Comment

Similar dilema, My baby corn are larger than my neighbour's full sized corn on the cob plants... and I have no signs of anything other than very tall leaves!
          vegi patch looking a bit like day of the triffids. any ideas when they may start to produce edible bits?

Comment

Whereabouts are you Evilnanny? And do you have any flowers or sideshoots showing yet?

Comment

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so Hi to everyone :0)

This year is my first attempt at growing corn, and I'm not really sure what I'm doing, but so far so good. I started off my seedlings (bought from Homebase), when they were about 5 inches tall, and planted 5 plants to an ordinary plant container. I kept them in the greenhouse, where they grew at a rapid pace, so much so, I had to remove them as they were almost at the roof. I placed them at the side of the greenhouse on grow bags, to allow the roots to go somewhere, and they are now 7ft tall (even the minipops, which were labeled as growing to a max of 5ft.
              It's been really fascinating watching them grow. Every plant (20 in all), have the male pollen tassels at the top, and I have 9 silks emerging from the cobs.
              I had my first silk appear on the minipop variety I'm growing, and I've heard conflicting advice as to when to harvest them. Some say pick them now, and others say wait until the silks go pink before harvesting.
              Can anyone offer this first time corn grower some advice, as I don't want all my hard work to go to waste.
              Many thanks in advance :0)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X