Edible hedge & juniper ?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edible hedge & juniper ?

In the backyard I’ve planted a number of plants to make an edible hedge (ie. wild plum, rugosa rose, blackthorn, hazel, etc.) & I also wanted to have a juniper bush.

But so far I am finding that many people use juniper as ground cover rather than as a bush. My question is: are there different types of juniper for differ purposes, or does it all come down to the pruning? Are they even any good for making a hedge?

Between my blackthorn & juniper I could concoct me own sloe gin! lol. so I’d be great if I could manage it.

x
    M
    "Excellently observed," answered Candide; "but let us cultivate our garden."

I've only ever seen it wild - when it's a low spreading type plant. Try googling it to see if there are different varieties.
    But off the top of my head, the other plants you've got in the hedge are very vigorous, I'm not sure if the juniper could keep up?
    Like the gin idea.....

Comment

In my experience it is a very slow growing plant is juniper, although it will grow to ten feet and more in height, and quite apart from that it seems to require special soil conditions - mycrorhizzia, periodic flooding or something - in order to survive, never mind flourish. So as a hedging plant, I think you would have your work cut out for you, and then some !
      I suppose it is a "sloe" plant....
      There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

you can put rosemary into an edible hedge It grows about 4 feet high after a few years

Comment

hahah... "sloe plant". thanks for all your advice guys! I think I will wait to tackle some juniper once I get a bit more garden experience under my belt.

x
          M
          "Excellently observed," answered Candide; "but let us cultivate our garden."

Comment

Juniper "berries" are used to make gin. Not an edible hedge but a drinkable hedge?
            Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

It's quite slow growing but so are a lot of the evergreen types. The ground cover one is a prostrate juniper - it's used in gardens as it's more ornamental than the upright, shaggy types. You should be able to get either though. I love the idea of an edible hedge. Isn't it called a 'Fedge' (or did I dream that?)
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X