slug pellets are they safe

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slug pellets are they safe

hi just come back from the plot,and the cabbges which are covered have been attacked by the dredded slug.
    i was thinking about using slug pellets but are the suitiable to use near my cabbage plants ?.
    i am trying not to use any chemicals
    or are there any other alternatives out there
    many thanks
    Last edited by dinky_doo; 29-05-2008, 08:15 PM.
    PRESTON NORTH END
    xbox gamertag billybobs
    add me to your friends list if you got what it takes

Interesting, the slug pellet debate. You can get organic ones now; which are supposed to be ok for wildlife eating the dead slugs, but I'm not convinced. We use other barrier methods when and where possible.

Interestingly, we have planted our brassicas this year through weed fabric; and our lottie neighbours [who are new to gardening] have planted theirs straight into the ground [they are using the old style row system - we divided ours up into beds]. Ours were planted a few days before theirs; ours are home grown and theirs were shop bought. We popped down there tonight and ALL theirs have been shredded by slugs, and ours are growing nicely...neither of us have not used ANY pellets at all [I suspect they might get some once they see the destruction]. The crops are just 4 feet away from each other.

There are loads of threads on slug pellets; and searching will give you a whole range of answers, including a load of alternatives.

Comment

I go out every night and slaughter every slug and snail I find as they certainly can cause tremendous damage. I would never use the blue slug pellets as they have caused carnage
      amongst beneficial wildlife (toads, hedgehogs, birds etc that eat the poisoned slugs as well as sometimes eating the pellets).
      Last edited by Tam; 29-05-2008, 10:42 PM.

Comment

I would only ever use pellets if I had netted off my crop so that birds and frogs couldn't get through the barrier. Quite hard to do! It's also worth mentioning that a slug can go quite a long way before it actually dies - and can be accessible to the birds then. I have used a stone to prop a slate up and put pellets under this - and sited it in the middle of the netted bed. However, I prefer to try to deter them other ways. Last year I bought some Slug Stoppa which is chalky and they won't cross. Unfortunately you need to renew it after rain. You can't have forgotten last year's summer? Perennial problem, this.
        Last edited by Flummery; 30-05-2008, 08:44 AM. Reason: typo
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I have found 2 dead hedgehogs on plots that use slug pellets.
          Something to consider.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I use nemaslug in the garden, but it would come expensive on an allotment, especially if you did it at the recommended 6 week intervals, but I do find it cuts the numbers down a lot. The nematodes don't affect anything other wildlife, although apparently they can cut down snail numbers too, so the advice is to keep it away from ponds.
            It's worth shopping around, especially taking into consideration postage. Green Gardener does the small pack for £9.99, with no delivery charge.
            I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
            Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X