Successional cucumbers?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Successional cucumbers?

Hi I have 2 cucumber plants in the greenhouse, almost a foot high now and doing well I think. My friend has just told me her's has died and she only had one. I am going for lunch tomorrow at hers. If I take a plant as a gift am I too late to sow another one? Could I give her a couple of seeds instead? I am umming and ahhing about taking one of mine in case a) my other one dies and b) it's too late to sow a new one.

But if I sow one now I would get later cucumbers as my plant is already getting big? So a longer crop, in which case I would do well to give her a plant?

make sense? lol Any thoughts?

janeyo

i'm no expert but i think if you go 4 an out door ridge type then you still just about have time to plant from seed'although not so sure about greenhouse varieties?
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

I think you would be successful planting now Janeyo. Whether you give one to your friend is up to you. Depends how generous you feel. Maybe I'm miserable but in the circumstances I'd give her some seeds !

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

How many cucs do you actually need, I've been giving them away the last couple of years from a single greenhouse plant and that has fruited until about October so no need for sucession.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I have had the same experience as Alison - three plants cropped over nearly four months.

They do need regular feeding, though.

Comment

i have cucumber plants but they are only about 5 inches tall one is a lemon,apple and the other is just a normal one ,i got them from garden centre
            when should i feed them and what?
            i have given them blood,fish,bone is that ok

Comment

Hi nomad
              I wouldn't start to fed them regularly until they start to flower. I only grow all female cukes (Pepinex 69 and Femspot) and have about 30 of each. I feed them once every couple of weeks with chicken manure pellets.
              When I plant my cukes, I sink a 3" pot alongside and do all my watering via the pot, as cukes do not like to have their stems wet (liable to rot) and this also ensures the water goes to where it is required. As I said, I feed with chicken manure pellets - I just drop a small handful into each pot and water as normal - the watering dissolves the pellets over the course of a week or so, so the feed is more gradual rather than a big hit at once.
              A lot of people use tomato food too.
              Rat

British by birth
              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...