Indoors

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indoors

We had a go at growing our own last year, but with the bad weather everything bar a few corgettes, spring onions, lettuce and radish was quite literally a wash out!!!

But we're undefeated and are going to have another go this year!

I was wondering; we have a lovely warm, sunny room that we don't use upstairs and we could get stuff going in there. Is it too early to start cucs and corgettes indoors?

Planning on putting toms in there tomorrow (I've noticed from the boards that I'm well behind there!). We don't have a greenhouse and had rotten luck with the plastic grow houses last year, how long could I keep plants going inside this room before they will need to be outdoors? Their final place will be in pots anyway but how long can I keep them going in this warm room?

thanks in advance and sorry if this is a silly question!!!

xxxx
    Nat xxx

My Rather Uninspiring Blog

Hi NattieG

I think that whatever you put in there will need to go right by the window as soon as it's germinated, otherwise it won't get enough light - no matter how sunny the room may appear to you or I, to a plant (especially a veg plant that is expected to grow strong and productive) it will seem rather dim. You will need to be vigilant and turn the plants often, and be ready to start hardening them off as soon as the threat of frost in your area recedes.

It sounds like a great place to germinate seeds and grow on the seedlings, though. I've just started my cucumbers and peppers, and will be sowing courgettes in a couple of weeks - courgette plants grow quite fast, so no need to hurry!

Comment

NattieG - don't worry, you are not behind at all. There is no rush. Lots of people on this forum sowed far too early and now don't have anywhere suitable to put their young plants because it's still too cold. Some people have heated greenhouses or very mild conditions and can keep their plants growing strongly, but you need to do what is right for you, for where you live and with the equipment you have.

If you sow tomatoes and other tender crops this week, some seedlings will be up and running by the middle of next week. With plenty of light - and not too much warmth - they will be desperate to get out by the end of April. With careful hardening off, they could then go out in your plastic greenhouse, but you may need to bring them in at night if there are late frosts. As ever, it depends on the weather!

Comment

Thank you both for your advice xx
        Nat xxx

My Rather Uninspiring Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X