Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused- mixed information

Morning everyone,

Im a bit of a newbie and im a bit confused, i have planted out some mixed salad leaves, i have put them into a growbag and left them out in my garden uncovered, but in a sunny posistion and fending for themselves, ive been reading on the forum that they dont like to be warm so should i be moving them to somewhere a bit more shaded before them start growing ( still seeds at the moment), i have a shaded area that is protected from winds etc... would they do better there?
    Any extra advice on why my sweet pepper shoots have yet to make an appearance would also be appreciated!!!
    Life isnt about surviving the storm.....But learning to dance in the rain.

Hi

Possibly because there are 5 different posts asking for info about salad leaves and everyone has given their opinion based on their own experiences. Warm in John O'Groats is a completely different warm than that at Land's End [it's all relative].

Just put some out and leave them be!!!

If you really have concerns, get a few small pots and plant a few in each pot and put them around the place; and see what comes up first.

But I am sure if you just let them get on with it, they'll be fine.

My outdoors ones went out on the 9th March, and the weather we have had since had been pretty rough, so I am not not expecting them up for a fair while yet.

Peppers; they need warmth and again, they can take a while.

There are no answers to alot of gardening questions as it depends on soil, water, weather, location, method of sowing and a whole host of other variables.

But, seeds want to grow - they just have to be left to get on with it.

Comment

I doubt they get too warm for a week or two yet! But they'll probably prefer the shade in summer. Where are your peppers? They need warmth to germinate so need to be indoors, preferably sealed inside a plastic bag or with a propagator lid. If they're on a windowsill remember not to trap them in the cold between glass and curtain at night, but bring them further into the room. I usually pop anything which I can't find the space in a heated propagator for on top of the central heating boiler overnight as it usually has some residual heat, even when the system is off, due to the pilot light, and then I stick them back on the sill in the morning. Peppers aren't exactly the quickest seeds to germinate though, so it might be that they simply need a little longer.
      Last edited by bluemoon; 22-03-2008, 11:32 AM.
      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Thanks guys, nice and easy info for me!
        I,ll leave the salad where it is for the time being as its not too warm here in cheshire yet, some sunny days but bitter cold wind!
        I put my tom and pepper seeds in my porch and the toms have already popped up, but i realise i just need some patience for the peppers to appear, at least im on the right lines.
        Thanks very much, really helpful info.
        Life isnt about surviving the storm.....But learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

I've put peppers in today.They'll stay in the warm airing cupboard until they germinate and then into the light in a warm room. I've never had any probs germinating toms, the problems start growing them on afterwards, they need warmth and light. Once I prick out the seedlings, they seem to take an age before they start growing.
          I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
            I've never had any probs germinating toms, the problems start growing them on afterwards, they need warmth and light. Once I prick out the seedlings, they seem to take an age before they start growing.
            I'm glad you said that about tomatoes, since mine were pricked out they don't seem to be doing anything... I am definitely learning to be patient with this growing veg lark. This forum helps a lot because people from different locations and with different experiences means that there will always be someone who has been through the same thing.
            pjh75

We sow the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed. (Neil, The Young Ones)

http://producebypaula.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X