pulling first earlies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pulling first earlies

I read somewhere that it was 10-12 weeks from planting to harvesting for first earlies but are you supposed to wait for them to flower? Mine show no sign of flowering at all although it is only 8 weeks since planting. Just wondered any thoughts?

Thanks
    Mel

Have a bit more patience Cotton Your first earlies will take 13 weeks to be ready so you have about 5 weeks to go

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Spotted my first flowers today. So really made the trip to the allotment in the rain worthwhile.

Do they have to be completely finished flowering before digging or in flower?

Comment

I was always told as soon as the flowers show to water like crazy to make the potatoes swell but with all this rain...
        Best wishes
        Andrewo
        Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Hello Janette The proof of the pudding's in the eating If you're really desperate for those tatties you can have a gentle dig around one and see what size they are. If they're as big as eggs they're yours But think you might have to wait a while

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewo
            I was always told as soon as the flowers show to water like crazy to make the potatoes swell but with all this rain...
            It's good isn't it andrewo - my rocket spuds have had flowers on them for a while now and the rain has been brilliant, the foliage is growing daily, now I just need a little sun to open them as they were planted on 10/3
            www.poultrychat.com

Comment

They don't always flower before they're ready Cotton you just have to judge when they are big enough by how long they've been in & how big they are if you feel around in the compost. My first earlies have hardly ever flowered before I've eaten them but I do like small new potatoes for boiling or salads so maybe I'm just a bit impatient!
              Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X