• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChocClare

Anyone got any brillo suggestions?

Thanks again everyone!
    You need a goat!

Our garden is smaller but similarly orientated, our greenhouse is (looking out from your back door) top right. It gets the sun first and foremost all year round.

How much of your lawn are you gonna give over to veggies?

Nice house btw.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
      our greenhouse is (looking out from your back door) top right. It gets the sun first and foremost all year round.

How much of your lawn are you gonna give over to veggies?

Nice house btw.
      Yes, we've just put the greenhouse in the same place, by the sound of it!

Zaz (OH) has got a bit of a Tom Good thing going at the moment and would quite like the whole lot given over to veggies but is coming in for stiff opposition from kids/trampoline/dog (and me to be honest, as I want a bit of lawn to sip cool drinks on in the summer, LOL!!) so probably everything to the left of the patio in this picture will be veggies.

Glad you like the house!

Comment

Here's an old one of ours - standing on the patio to the left of our back door, the lawn to the right of the path is where the raised beds are/will finally go. We've still got the lawn on the left - lawn is a bit of a misnomer really! In summer the sun sets at about two o'clock of the picture, in winter it sets at about 11:00 o'clock right behind the pylon that I've cunningly cropped out to try to compete with your garden's 'cuteness'.

Attached Files
        Last edited by smallblueplanet; 24-01-2008, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChocClare View Post
          Ooh, I lied, I've just found a picture of my garden which actually shows the garden!
          I have no words of wisdom, I just wanted to say WOW what a gorgeous home you have!
          “The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one does.”

Comment

Here's an old one of ours
            Excellent, I'm so glad you posted that because, as I suspected, you've put your greenhouse in more-or-less exactly the same place as us AND more importantly, you've got it facing the same way - Zaz wanted it sideways on, if you see what I mean, and I managed to beat him into submission (metaphorically at least)

In summer the sunsets at about two o'clock of the picture, in winter it sets at about 11:00 o'clock right behind the pylon that I've cunningly cropped out to try to compete with your garden 'cuteness'.
            LOL! Cunning!

Now, seriously, you're right, your garden does face more-or-less the same way and your greenhouse is in the same place. SO - where does the espaliered tree path go? Along the path you've got there or at right angles across it? Bear in mind there are now veggies planted on the grass next to your greenhouse on the right of the path in this picture!!

Comment

I'd have the espalier at the opposite end of the 'strip' to the greenhouse parallel to it. That way it gets all sun and casts no shadow (on veggies)?

Do show OH the piccy won't you!

Comment

Originally posted by Sirius View Post
                I have no words of wisdom, I just wanted to say WOW what a gorgeous home you have!
                Thank you Sirius! You've really cheered me up as I was just looking despondently at the huge pile of ironing dominating my sitting room and thinking what a tip the place looked!

Comment

Originally posted by ChocClare View Post
                  ....I was just looking despondently at the huge pile of ironing dominating my sitting room and thinking what a tip the place looked!
                  Picture please to cheer us all up!!! lol!

Comment

I'd have the espalier at the opposite end of the 'strip' to the greenhouse parallel to it. That way it gets all sun and casts no shadow (on veggies)?
                    Um... lost you a bit there, I'm afraid. Do you mean parallel to the greenhouse but near the house or along your neighbour's fence or parallel to the... um....??? (Blimey, I've got the picture IN FRONT OF ME)

Do show OH the piccy won't you!
                    Way ahead of you. Gloated at him with it for fully ten minutes the miinute you posted it.

Comment

Um... lost you a bit there, I'm afraid. Do you mean parallel to the greenhouse but near the house or along your neighbour's fence or parallel to the... um....??? (Blimey, I've got the picture IN FRONT OF ME)
                      Yeah sorry I'm a bit left/right colourblind! As you look at the piccy of your place I'd have the espallier just in front of the house to the left of the 'street lamp' ().

Wouldn't cast shade over too much, but would get lots of sun?

Way ahead of you. Gloated at him with it for fully ten minutes the miinute you posted it.
                      Lol! way to go - print a copy off as a plan! (Nah save that!)

Comment

Actually its such a big garden I'd be tempted to go looking for posh garden plans, can you afford a garden designer? (I know you'd rather have an 'ironer'!)

Comment

I'd have the espallier just in front of the house to the left of the 'street lamp'
                          Huzzah! That's kind of the conclusion I'd come to after all this to-ing and fro-ing.

Of course, I've got to dig up the turf first and the whole place is pretty bleuch at the moment, but it's the start of a plan...

Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Thanks for all your help!
                            Well that was easy. Right I'm off to bed.

Comment

Actually its such a big garden I'd be tempted to go looking for posh garden plans, can you afford a garden designer? (I know you'd rather have an 'ironer'!)
                              Ironer would win hands down every time. EVERY time!

This whole discussion started because I was thinking about emulating Oscar de la Renta's garden (though his is much bigger, by the look of it) - if not exactly, then in general "feel". Actually, the garden in Sarah Raven's book is also rather nice - I want something that doesn't look totally derelict in the winter - that's why I thought I'd put some structure in - but the be-all and end-all is growing the veg, at the end of the day!

Garden is half an acre in total (you can't see all of it in the picture) but quite a lot of it (the bit you can't see) is shaded by huge willow trees so the vegetable plot probably won't be that big in the end - just the bit behind the back door, at least to start.

Definitely an ironer. Every time.

And it's definitely bedtime!
                              Last edited by ChocClare; 24-01-2008, 11:18 PM.

Comment

I suppose the easiest structures are stuff like raised beds and wooden pergolas. But if you decide to move the veggie garden later won't it be difficult with espaliered fruit and such?

Have you seen 'Gardens of Plenty' about potagers?

Gardens of Plenty

Lots of pretty pictures, more about the history with some design info at the back, worth getting out the library maybe?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X