chipping seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chipping seeds

I have just bought some PAEONIA seeds which I undesrstand are difficult to germinate. The packet says that "Chipping" the seeds can help. Can anyone tell me how you do this and also any advice on sowing these seeds would be gratefully received.:

Welcome to the Vine Cairnoscar. I haven't grown peonies from seed myself but you might find this link useful. As for chipping seeds, this just means making a little chip in the seed coat so that it is easier for it to germinate. You can do it by making a little nick in the seed surface with a very sharp knife. Good luck with the peonies.
    http://www.willowgarden.net/summer/peoniesfromseed.htm

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

What an interesting question Cairnoscar - and an interesting answer too Alice. I have a lovely pink peony in the garden - it looks like a blowsy rose, but I've never noticed seeds. However, I've never looked for them! I shall now. I just leave them until they're looking a bit raggy and cut them down. Idle Gardener Syndrome!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Yes, Thank you, too (or two?) for the question and answer and welcome to the Vine Cairnoscar.

I have a beautiful white peony that came with the garden here and it thrived this year after being hacked around (accidentally) and the resulting 3 pieces put back into the soil to take their chances. A bit more idle gardener syndrome there too Flummery.

I didn't realise that they set seed but, like you Flum, I will have a look next year. If there are any, perhaps we can do a swap?
        Last edited by scarey55; 14-11-2007, 09:43 AM.
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Welcome to the vine Cairnoscar and good luck with your peonies.
          Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Originally posted by scarey55 View Post
            ].

I didn't realise that they set seed but, like you Flum, I will have a look next year. If there are any, perhaps we can do a swap?
            Good thinking Scarey. Spread a little happiness...!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X