No announcement yet.

Beds or rows?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep and eye on the 'What I did Today' thread. It's a great reminder of when to sow seeds, to plant out, how to make use of your greenhouse. I find it very handy. Better than a book!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi and welcome Twinsane. I agree with everyone else here, i do like raised beds but i will be leaving three areas for potatoes, for crop rotation. I'm not sure i like the idea of spuds in raised beds, taking into account on the space you have, this may not be a viable way for you to do things. But raised beds is good
      "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        Rows are an innefficient use of the land if you are going for as big a total weight of crop as possible!
        Beds enable you to block plant at staggered stations giving you a bigger crop from the same area!
        Exactly what i was going to say, but Snadger said it more succinctly.

To further increase your planting space, you could use the keyhole bed system, basically you have your bed as normal but instead of a path, you have a keyhole-shaped path up the middle. From it you can reach all areas of the bed for weeding, planting etc.

I have a b@$tardi$ed version of this, using concrete stepping stones instead of paths - to increase planting opportunities.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X