Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Growbag that's had tomatoes in the last two seasons?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growbag that's had tomatoes in the last two seasons?

I know it wouldn't be wise to put tomatoes in again or use it for strawberries.

Can I use it elsewhere (used in a raised bed) or is it best to chuck it in the compost bin?

Sow stump rooted carrots in it in the Spring or use it for planting bulbs!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Just a quick query, Dan, do you mean that you've used the same grow bags for two years? If so, have you managed to get a decent crop / healthy plants this year and how much have you been feeding? I've always assumed that toms will pretty much exhaust a grow bag in a single season so have always kicked them out the greenhouse and used them as a top dressing elsewhere. At the most, I've grown winter lettuce in them and then moved them in the spring. Would be interested to know your experiences.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

The previous occupants left behind a grow bag with three tomato plants in.

I duly ate those tomatoes and used the grow bag again for this year.

I had tomato plants in that and in some fresh compost and there was no difference in results between the two.

I just used a bog standard tomato feed (once a week when they started fruiting), occasional bit of spraying with seaweed. Egg shells and banana skins were buried in the soil.

I thought it was the done thing to use it for two years

Comment

It is Dan but not for the same family as you are asking for trouble.

In addition to what Snadger says you can torn them out in to some bigish pots ( flower buckets) and grow some dwarf Beans in is as these will fix their own Nitrogen so won't suffer too bad. Or try something like Tom Thumb or Little Gem Lettuce.
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by dan1979 View Post
            I just used a bog standard tomato feed (once a week when they started fruiting), occasional bit of spraying with seaweed. Egg shells and banana skins were buried in the soil.

I thought it was the done thing to use it for two years
            What is bog standard tomato feed, homemade?

Knowing me, I probably would also try to get 2 years (or eve more) out of grow bags .
            Last edited by veg4681; 21-10-2007, 03:35 PM.
            Food for Free

Comment

When my pots or bags have done their duty for a couple of years I put the spent compost onto the compost heap or the borders. I don't think it's worth trying to keep them going for more than 2 years because of disease or pest buildup.

Comment

Originally posted by veg4681 View Post
                What is bog standard tomato feed, homemade?
                Whatever I picked up from a garden centre, can't even recall the brand. I'd go and check but it's a bit cold for a trip to the shed.

Comment

Guess you mean Tomorite or similar (not sure if that's spelt right!). Good all round greenhouse food for toms, peppers etc.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Dan1979,

Sorry, no need to find out the brand if it's just a tomato feed, I only asked because the word bog got me into thinking whether it was something to do recycled stuffs from the loo . I know this because tomato likes it very mucky.
                    Food for Free

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X