Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variety Book recommendations - Fruit and Veg

Hello All,

It was my birthday the other day and my brother wishes to buy me a book.
    I'm wanting an extensive book (if there is one) on all the different fruit and vegetable varieties. Ideally listing all the kinds on tomatoes, cucumbers, melons ect.

Is there any recommendations?
    I guess its something like catalogue but bit more detail.

Thanks
    GH

Wow, that'll be the internet in a book then!

In all seriousness, I have no idea - it's never occurred to me that there might be a book like that somewhere.
    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have one called ‘the potato book’ by Alan Romans, which I think would be ok for the potato section. All it needs is another few dozen books for each crop type to build yourself a multi volume encyclopaedia!

Comment

The tomato book would be massive, there are thousands of varieties. One I have seen recommended before is 100 Heirloom Tomatoes for the American Garden by Dr. Carolyn Male.

Comment

Thanks all i will check that out toomany. Yes that is what im looking for an encyclopedia on tomatoes ha.

Comment

Originally posted by ghexton View Post
            Thanks all i will check that out toomany. Yes that is what im looking for an encyclopedia on tomatoes ha.
            The problem with this sort of thing from the writer/publisher perspective is that new varieties are coming out all the time - so as soon as something is published it's immediately out of date.

Comment

If you are investing in a book of tomato varieties and their needs you might need to take into account the huge difference between growing tomatoes in the UK as against the USA.. just something to be aware of.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                If you are investing in a book of tomato varieties and their needs you might need to take into account the huge difference between growing tomatoes in the UK as against the USA.. just something to be aware of.
                Yeah I always wondered why they used such big pots and metal cages for tomatoes in the US but then realised it's because they don't prune to cordons like most of us do. I just avoid most late season varieties. It can be useful to see what varieties they like to grow in the Pacific North West or Canada as they have fairly short seasons too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X