Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total newbies - intro and question on strong sets

Hi there. First post so go easy

My wife and I are total beginners to growing anything. We managed to get an allotment the week before lockdown so feel quite fortunate. As much as a diary for ourselves, we're trying to blog about things as we go: www.plot57a.co.uk is the link, perhaps it'll be of interest to some here.

Anyway, we did a big order of stuff from Marshalls a few weeks back that has just arrived. Hooray. Feel we can finally get planting and try and grow some stuff now. We have:

Pea Seeds – Hurst Green Shaft
    Broad Bean Seeds – Masterpiece Green Longpod
    Dwarf French Bean Seeds – Amethyst
    Lettuce Seeds – All The Year Round
    Salad Rocket Athena Seeds
    Leek Seeds – Neptune
    Shallot Sets – Red Gourmet
    Onion Sets – Rumba (Heat Prepared)
    Albert Bartlett Seed Potato Isle of Jura

A query though...
    Given the distractions of trying to earn a living, we're going to struggle to get to our allotment for any length of time before the weekend. The seeds we can obviously just leave in the packets until then, but what about the potatoes and onion / shallot sets? Are they ok in the box they came in, or should we get them out and let them see light? I know we need to keep them cool and dry, but is light a good or a bad thing for them? We're only talking a few days but want to be as careful as we can with them until we get them in the soil.

Hi fledge and welcome! A great time to get an allotment, it'll be hard work to begin with but don't forget to have fun with it!

I would unpack the box and keep the potatoes, onions and shallots in light and air until the weekend. If you need to leave the potatoes more than a few days unplanted, I would spread them out to stop the shoots they are trying to grow getting all tangled up.

Good luck!
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Many thanks for the advice - duly unboxed and spread out!

Yes very much so to hard work! Finding that already. We hired a rotovator early doors to get it anywhere near usable. Without would have been back breaking.

Comment

Welcome, you should be ok to start sowing and planting in your neck of the woods, take your time and enjoy the allotment, only the dwarf French beans are what I'd call tender.If you can grow those in pots at home inside and take them to the allotment when they are a good size, then hopefully risk of frost should be over.

Comment

Hello and welcome.

As you seem to like your alliums you may care to buy a few bulbs of garlic in the Autumn for planting then. I think I bought about 7 different varieties, several years ago, to see which performed best where I am. I am now down to 3: a red one, a white one and a small one that keeps well, no idea what the varieties are now. I keep the biggest bulbs as seed for the following years crop. I have never bought a garlic bulb since. I do the same with shallots, occasionally I've saved leek seeds but they are a long time, 2 years, in the ground.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X