Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to growing veggies!

Hi Everyone,

I've just joined today as I've found this forum to be filled with lots of great information

I am just starting out, i have purchased a cold frame to assist in my growing. I was looking for some advice on the best way to start using this cold frame (should i put the cold frame on slabs or just in the soil? how regularly do i water the seedlings? should i mix the compost with garden soil?).

I hope to grow the usual veggies (lettuce, tomato, carrots etc) and herbs (chilli, coriander etc).

I live just outside of Glasgow. Honestly, i'm a keen learner but i have no clue where to begin!

Also: My neighbour had planted strawberries last year but has since not bothered and i asked if i could take it (is there anyway to rejuvenate?) it has sprouted but nothing except the smallest strawberries are left.

Look forward to any advice provided.

Nice to meet you all,
    Linzee

Hi Linzee and welcome to the Forum.
    We all started somewhere, just jump in and go for it.
    I'm guessing that you'll be putting things in pots in the cold frame, not planting anything in the soil in it. If so, put the frame on slabs to give you more growing room.
    I grow seedlings and young plants in compost in pots. Once they are big enough, they're planted into the soil - no need to mix compost and soil.
    Carrots grow well in buckets as they'll give a good depth of soil and you can sievs the soil to remove any stones that would make the carrots grow in amusing shapes when they hit them.
    Tomatoes and chillies are more difficult to grow outdoors as they benefit from protection from the cold and the tomatoes from blight.

Strawberries are toughies. Cut off any dead leaves and plant it in a new spot with plenty of water to give it a kick start.

Have fun.

Comment

I don't have much to add to what VC has said already, apart from possibly to buy a book or two. When you're completely new to something, it's quite reassuring to have a book to read through, and you can learn at your own pace.

Most of your learning will come from mistakes, and we all make them, and it's absolutely the best way to learn about your garden and its specific growing environment.

And a word of warning.. this stuff is addictive. You best sign up for an allotment now
      https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks Veggiechicken, that is really helpful! Thanks for the clarification on the mixing....I’ve read so many different ways of doing it I wasn’t sure what was best

Yes! I’ve seen the weird shaped carrots, lol can’t wait to see what mine look like!

How often would you be watering the seeds, daily sprinkle or just when you think it looks a tad dry?

Loving it already but jeez, some workout!

Thanks Sarrissuk, that’s a great idea about the book, I’ve just been doing it all online but you’re right, always good to have a book handy!

I’m excited to see if I get as addicted as everyone on here, you lot are pros!

Comment

Linzee you've had some excellent advice so all i'll add is to say Hello and welcome to the vine
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hi Linzee and welcome to the Vine. Re coriander, now is a good time to sow it as it tends to run to seed quicker in the middle of summer. I know we're a fair bit further south than you but self set coriander seedlings started to show on our plot three or four weeks ago.
            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Linzeecx View Post
              I’m excited to see if I get as addicted as everyone on here, you lot are pros!

The more I do gardening, the more I don't think there ARE any pros - there's always something that will fail even though you do everything right, and there's always something that does really well despite neglect or doing it the wrong way. We might have all the knowledge, but nature has its little ways to keep us on our toes
              Having said that, these forums and all the lovely grapes have a wonderful hive mind and together as a bunch we're really quite clever.
              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

This threads the same as this one -
                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1702315

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
                  The more I do gardening, the more I don't think there ARE any pros - there's always something that will fail even though you do everything right, and there's always something that does really well despite neglect or doing it the wrong way. We might have all the knowledge, but nature has its little ways to keep us on our toes
                  Having said that, these forums and all the lovely grapes have a wonderful hive mind and together as a bunch we're really quite clever.
                  Well said Sariss

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                    This threads the same as this one -
                    https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ml#post1702315
                    Hi Jane,

Yes it is, someone on the first thread told me to post here as no one will see the other post as it’s in the wrong area

Thanks
                    Linzee

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I feel less anxious about it all now, there’s just so much information to take in, I’ll get there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X