Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Allotment

Hi All,

After waiting for over a year for an allotment, I have now been allocated one. I am complete novice and always wanted some space to grow my own vegetables.

Does anyone know where the best place would be to start, maybe there is very good book everyone recommends etc.

All you need is on here... save the money for seeds/equipment

Maybe a pic of the plot and some details of the state it’s in, along with what you want to grow.

Dig vs no dig that’ll be the big debate that fires up first lol

Comment

Congrats on your plot, Nath and welcome to the Forum.
      You probably won't be able to post any photos until you've made about 10 posts so keep posting!.

Tell us what condition its in - weedy or recently cultivated.
      How big is it?
      Is there a shed/greenhouse/polytunnel?
      Any fruit trees/bushes/rhubarb?

What would you like to grow?

Comment

Thanks all for the messages. I did try and use the img tag but don't seem to like onedrive files.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ave-5JawPY3agXegn1bLTsCLluuX

Hopefully that will work.

For me its the usual potatoes, carrots, onions, tomatoes. Pretty much anything.

What I need to learn is what is best month on month.

Comment

Copied your image, Nath.........

Click image for larger version

Name:	Allotment.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	2387013

Comment

Looks pretty much ready to go to me.
            Best get your potatoes and onions in as soon as possible, as they want planting before the end of April, really.

Comment

That's very neat piece of land, looks like sth been sprayed on the edges?
              What's that building in the distance?

Comment

Thanks for linking the pic.

There are some sheds around the outside of the land. I do not have one, do have a sort of locker/shed to store tools etc.

I think I will need to cultivate the soil. Not helped with dry period with have had. Thinking of getting a polytunnel or similar to put at the end.

With everything going on with the Cornavirus does anyone recommend a good online store for plants and seeds?

Comment

Have a look on Youtube for Charles Dowding and his no dig technique. I used to be a digger, but I have seen the light and changed my ways.

I like Seekay on fleabay, he does a lot of seeds for a lot less than most and I've always had good stuff from there
                  https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Jeez that's a nice-looking plot. Some thoughts
                    1)start a compost heap - any uncooked kitchen veg peelings, tealeaves, coffee grounds etc, grass clippings, weed leaves, shredded paper, cardboard etc. Pile them up in the shadiest corner. It won't help for this year, but start now.
                    2) it's getting close to late for seeds for this year, if you can, get small plants from a garden centre
                    3) if you can find spuds, get them now and get them in.
                    4) I wouldn't put anything permanent in this year (raspberries, fruit trees, rhubarb etc).
                    5) take lots of notes and pictures, see where the shade is, where is soggy/dry etc. See what your neighbours grow and where
                    6) remember it's a marathon not a sprint. It doesn't have to be perfect next week.
                    7) be polite to the old boys. Remember they have seen a lot of people come and go, if you are still here next year, then they may well be more forthcoming.

Comment

Does look a nice plot.

I'd get to a local Wilko or Home Bargain they will have seed potatoes in, and morrisons have some seeds that can still be planted. it's not to late yet...

Get somethng out of it this year, but the main aim should be to plan the layout for future years ( fruit trees etc ). I'd dig it to clear any deep rooted perennial weeds and then plan out 'no dig' beds for future years growing. Ask the regulars for details of anyone who delivers/supplies manure and get a 3 bin compost set up going.

Loads to do, so get cracking lol

Comment

If you need to order on line The organic catalogue ( I think these are working with Dobbies now) is good and Kings seeds but the latter are closed for a couple of days to catch up on orders.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves
                          Contrary to Sarriss' love of no dig , I say get digging and get to know your soil
                          Good advice to get to know your soil by digging... but just the first year then you wil know the best place for paths and no dig beds

Comment

Thanks all for the advice, some good stuff there.

Struggling with online seed orders, seems everyone already has a lot of orders to catch up on. Going to have to go Wilko if any left.

Going to start digging on Monday. Wondering do I need to add some compost or anything to the soil?

I have no expectations this year. Purely just to try and learn. Anything grown will be a bonus

Comment

Originally posted by Nath82 View Post
                              Thanks all for the advice, some good stuff there.

Struggling with online seed orders, seems everyone already has a lot of orders to catch up on. Going to have to go Wilko if any left.

Going to start digging on Monday. Wondering do I need to add some compost or anything to the soil?

I have no expectations this year. Purely just to try and learn. Anything grown will be a bonus
                              Was in our local wilko about a week ago and hardly any seeds however yesterday they had restocked
                              Last edited by broadway; 18-04-2020, 05:36 PM.
                              Cheers

Danny

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X