No announcement yet.

Plants in greenhouse - killed by cold?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a number of young plants in the greenhouse both flower and veg, those susceptible to the cold being tomatoes, peppers and climbing beans along with dahlia, begonia and lobelia and the temperature last night was down to 2c but all the plants get covered with 30g fleece every night, if you don't have heavy grade fleece double up with the thinner material or use sheets of newspaper over your plants cover the plants with several layers of the paper putting the sheets down individually creating some pockets of air within the layers
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

The min temp overnight in my PT was just below freezing but I don't think the tomatoes have been caught by the frost . After I unwrapped them from their blanket they looked fine.

Interestingly the grape vine in there with them looked OK except where the new growth with unopened flower buds had pressed against the plastic roof and those bits had turned brown and are obviously dead. For comparison, in another green house in my garden, the vine in there where the shoots are similarly pressed against the plastic roof were fine, because that roof is made from triple wall poly-carb sheets.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. All plants recovered after a couple of hours in the sun and I brought them indoors the past coule of nights so all are healthy looking once again.

Just another quick question:
        My tomato plants do have some white marks on the leaves and some are yellowish between the leaves. Are these the effects of low temperatures or strong sun light?

Thanks for all your help guys. Very much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by colonel View Post
          Thanks for all the replies. All plants recovered after a couple of hours in the sun and I brought them indoors the past coule of nights so all are healthy looking once again.

Just another quick question:
          My tomato plants do have some white marks on the leaves and some are yellowish between the leaves. Are these the effects of low temperatures or strong sun light?

Thanks for all your help guys. Very much appreciated
          Could be either - plants affected by cold often show a purpley tinge to their leaves - obviously as the plants get older the lower leaves do turn yellow anyway, but unless you started yours in January I wouldn't expect this to be happening yet - don't forget to give them a bit of feed in their water occasionally, often compost loses all the feed in it after a few weeks especially if you are watering from the top.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X