No Dig Beds -

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Folks

So this year I will be planting veg for the first time in the claypit allotment acquired last year. I'm going no dig with cardboard spent compost / soil then a top layer of MPC. Should I plant everything through the cardboard ie use a bulb planter?
    Cheers

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
      Hi Folks

So this year I will be planting veg for the first time in the claypit allotment acquired last year. I'm going no dig with cardboard spent compost / soil then a top layer of MPC. Should I plant everything through the cardboard ie use a bulb planter?
      That would depend on the depth of what is covering the Cardboard

Comment

Originally posted by Logunner View Post
        That would depend on the depth of what is covering the Cardboard
        Fair point LG

The first beds will be using my years old linkbord kit so the depth will be 15cm
        Cheers

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by broadway View Post
          Fair point LG

The first beds will be using my years old linkbord kit so the depth will be 15cm
          In that case I would use a large dibber (i use an old spade handle) to punch a hole in the cardboard.

Comment

Thanks will do
            Cheers

Danny

Comment

I use a cordless drill with a 40mm hole cutter if the cardboard is dry then a dibber, I have a flashy one with the end cased in metal.

Comment

If you are putting down cardboard I would suggest that if possible, you soak each layer before covering it with either another layer or compost or weed free soil and the more layers you have the better
                it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                  If you are putting down cardboard I would suggest that if possible, you soak each layer before covering it with either another layer or compost or weed free soil and the more layers you have the better
                  Thanks Rary

Was planning on soaking cardboard although I think it is already!

Was you suggesting cardboard then soil/MPC, then another layer of cardboard before more soil/MPC?
                  Cheers

Danny

Comment

Sorry broadway should have been a bit clearer, I was referring to layers of cardboard, that's why I said soak each layer, also if you don't have enough cardboard newspapers can be used as well
                    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

Sorry broadway should have been a bit clearer, I was referring to layers of cardboard, that's why I said soak each layer, also if you don't have enough cardboard newspapers can be used as well
                      Cheers fella
                      Cheers

Danny

Comment

Newspapers..... ahh the only useful contribution The Sun newspaper has ever made, love shovelling mounds of manure on that trash.

Comment

Originally posted by nrmartin8798 View Post
                          I can get out local allotment counciller to deliver some manure - handily he works on a farm! - but I thought that it wasnt ideal to plant straight into it? I have looked at getting some compost but it soon adds up in price..!!
                          If it's well rotted, at least a year or two old, then you can absolutely plant straight into it. Most of the manure I had last year was at least a year old and regularly turned and it was beautiful to plant into, and things grew very well.

Some manure I got was NOT old enough because the daft horse woman kept piling the new stuff on top of the old, so I got a bit of a mix. Stuff didn't grow as well in that, so that's a lesson learnt, for sure.

I am contemplating having some compost delivered by the tonne bag, maybe two or three of them, as I'm absolutely sure I don't need any more fertiliser on the plots for this year
                          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

One thing to remember about fresh manure is that it can be placed on the ground between the plants, just make sure its not touching the plants

Comment

Originally posted by Logunner View Post
                              Newspapers..... ahh the only useful contribution The Sun newspaper has ever made, love shovelling mounds of manure on that trash.
                              I am quite surprised at that quote, I always thought that there was enough - - - - - manure in it without having to add more

Comment

Originally posted by SarrissUK View Post
                                If it's well rotted, at least a year or two old, then you can absolutely plant straight into it. Most of the manure I had last year was at least a year old and regularly turned and it was beautiful to plant into, and things grew very well.

Some manure I got was NOT old enough because the daft horse woman kept piling the new stuff on top of the old, so I got a bit of a mix. Stuff didn't grow as well in that, so that's a lesson learnt, for sure.

I am contemplating having some compost delivered by the tonne bag, maybe two or three of them, as I'm absolutely sure I don't need any more fertiliser on the plots for this year
                                Thanks for that - that's really useful

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X