No announcement yet.

Straw bale raised beds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like Fred, I was offered some bales after a BBQ but getting them home was a problem and I left them for a pony rescue charity.

Comment

Free would be good if they could confirm what chemicals ( if any ) they’d been sprayed with.

The local feedstore have confirmed none of the nasty one I can’t spell lol

Comment

Originally posted by Logunner View Post
        Free would be good if they could confirm what chemicals ( if any ) they’d been sprayed with.

The local feedstore have confirmed none of the nasty one I can’t spell lol
        In theory, they should all be fine as crops sprayed with those lingering herbicides cannot legally be sold as animal bedding (and that's all straw, as opposed to hay, is usually sold as).
        Of course, stuff can slip through the net, but if that happens then it's usually an accident, and the supplier is unlikely to know any more about it than you do, so they're just going to tell you what they believe they know: that they haven't been sprayed with those herbicides.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
          In theory, they should all be fine as crops sprayed with those lingering herbicides cannot legally be sold as animal bedding (and that's all straw, as opposed to hay, is usually sold as).
          Of course, stuff can slip through the net, but if that happens then it's usually an accident, and the supplier is unlikely to know any more about it than you do, so they're just going to tell you what they believe they know: that they haven't been sprayed with those herbicides.
          It's their own harvest, so hoping they know... Get plenty of other stuff from them.

Comment

Beds in place

Click image for larger version

Name:	B7361FC6-A248-4096-AD92-DEC7F97A0CE6.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	2386055

So far they have a layer of ‘hot’ 3 month old woodchip/coffee mix, rabbit manure and bedding, coffee and 2 year old horse manure. Will finishing filling with manure and MPC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FD6B3A97-060F-4647-B92B-42F668A2570F.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	2386056

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X