No announcement yet.

Heat mat or heated propagator

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use heat mats under large plastic trays and a grow lamp on a timer suspended above, works well.

Comment

I going to make a heated grow bed from soil cables this year, had the soil cables for quite a few years now, just never got round to using them.
      I have a small sankey propagator, had it for years and it's never failed, it's used every spring. I'm sprouting a kg of supermarket bought ginger ready to pot on later this month.

Also, which maybe of interest to you, I've just had an email from the Grow your own magazine and they're offering a super 7 propagator as part of the magazine subscription. I have heard of them before and I've just googled the cost, you can get it a little cheaper than suggested, but all the same it seems a good offer with the regular seed packs it provides as well.
      Just wondering what everyone else thinks of the offer?

https://link.growfruitandveg.co.uk/v...i.iue/645514ab
      Last edited by MyWifesBrassicas; 05-01-2020, 10:36 AM. Reason: bad spelling
      sigpic

Comment

I've never really used either but years ago I had some old electric heated sort of stainless steel trays for putting demi -johns of wine on and keeping warm when they were working ( bought in a job lot at a car boot sale). I discovered they were great for propagating tomatoes and chillies. I don't know what happened to them.

Comment

Originally posted by SimpleSimon View Post
          My heated propagators would struggle at those temps winter / early spring. They aren't very powerful. 13watt I think so capable on maintaining temps maybe 10c above ambient but defo not 20c+ needed for chillis. You can get fancy temp controlled ones tho that maybe more powerful.
          No chillies, so all good.

Comment

I was interested to see this thread, as I have a heated propagator I haven't used for a few years. With my new garden I have lots of space to fill, and plan to be sowing annual and perennial flowers so I don't need to buy much.

Last year I successfully sowed cosmos, verbena, French marigolds, pansies and wallflowers, just using pots with a plastic bag over the top. Will I get better results using a propagator? Are there some seeds that I really need to use it for? I lifted dahlias, a canna and scented cosmos, should I sit their pots on the propagator as I start them off?

Sorry for the long list of Q's......
            Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

You would need some type of heating if you are growing chillis, tomatoes or peppers.
              Wallflowers are seen outdoors in the open ground and will germinate without any heat.
              The rest of the flower seeds should also be fine without heat.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I have 2 propogators which I use to start off my tomatoes and peppers every year.
                Dont have a heat cable and never felt the need for one.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

We have two propogators, one double the size of the other standard sized one. The smaller one is a few years old now and does nearly everything, the larger one will take a few pots once things are potted on, but we use an LED grow light in a spare bedroom which has ambient warmth once things show through.

Comment

Normally I use this little plastic propagator inside, placed on top of a vivarium heat mat. It functions perfectly well, but is small.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2346.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	624.2 KB
ID:	2386083

I was given this last year (too late to use it), and I'd like to start using it if possible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2345.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	516.6 KB
ID:	2386084

But I don't really get how it works. There's no lid. If I put it in the greenhouse, it's -2°C at night at the moment - will it cope? I haven't got room for it in the house.

Any advice getting this thing up and running would be appreciated.
                    Last edited by mrbadexample; 22-01-2020, 08:05 PM.
                    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I use a home made propagator made from a plastic tray about 500mm * 1000mm by 50mm deep. It is filled with sharp sand and has a 50W heater cable embedded in the sand. It is important to keep the sand very moist to give good heat conductivity. The temperature is controlled by a small computer from a probe in one of the pots. You don't have to use a computer - a thermostat will do. It's just that I control lots of other things (such as heated beds) and thermostats and timers get expensive when you have a lot of them.

I aim for IP44 Ingress Protection. Exposed metal is earth bonded and the whole greenhouse is behind an RCP

Propagator - without its fleece tent

It is very heavy: about 30 odd kg sand and 10l water.

Once seed starting off is out of the way I use it for three 30cm pots with auberines and a couple of smaller pots for chilies and it seems very successful. The roots spread right out of the pots into the sand. I replace the sand each year.

Oops - mistake. The green lines below refer to a bed not the propagator, which is not currently recorded but runs about 18°C
                      Here are the sort of temperatures I get with 50W - blue is the air temperature in the greenhouse and green is the temperature in the bed. This is with the fleece tent in place. Lowest air temp in greenhouse so far has been about 2 °C and lowest in-pot temp about 10 °C. Last few days have been clear so big diurnal variations in temperature.

Temperature over last few days. Blue greenhouse air. Green [s]in-pot[/s] in-bed compost
                      Last edited by quanglewangle; 22-01-2020, 07:32 AM. Reason: typo
                      I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
                      ∃

Comment

Wow, quangle, I bet the moon landing wasn't as well organised as this.
                        Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
                          Wow, quangle, I bet the moon landing wasn't as well organised as this.
                          I grow stuff too
                          I live in a part of the UK with very mild winters. Please take this into account before thinking "if he is sowing those now...."
                          ∃

Comment

Seems very complicated for the amateur gardener Quangle, I bet you work in electronics or automation industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Can the Man View Post
                              Seems very complicated for the amateur gardener Quangle, I bet you work in electronics or automation industry.
                              Yes, I am quite interested in the way commercial growers operate and, by training, I am averse to wheel re-invention.

I used to design and program low level stuff - down where the actual binary bits live. Retirement process took some years and involved a spell teaching undergraduates. Now there is no-one, apart from Mrs quanglewangle, to frown at me when I pick up a soldering iron.
                              ∃

Comment

Is

Originally posted by quanglewangle View Post
                                low level stuff

code for I was a ‘spook’ at GCHQ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...