Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preparing for 2020 Grow. First Grow Ever.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radishes are easy ( and quick). If you like lettuce and /or rocket keep growing a short row of a mixed variety.

Comment

Where abouts are you located? Early, cold tolerant varieties of tomato do pretty well here in the North West, especially if up against a sunny wall. We grew cucumbers outside for the first time this year and they did really well, though the yield would have been higher in a greenhouse. You could perhaps make some mini polytunnels to go over a couple of your beds to create a more hospitable environment for heat loving crops.

This grower in Belgium tried some new varieties of sweet potato both outdoors and in the greenhouse - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLMo_6RiOiU

Comment

The cardboard will break down into the soil as long as it is wet,any brown supermarket boxes will do

Originally posted by MichaelD View Post
        Yeah I will probably cover cardboard. Does it have to be biodegradable?.
        Last edited by chillithyme; 05-11-2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

How exciting. I love people's first adventures into gardening.

I would try to make your first season as easy as possible.

Veggies like lettuce should be sown in small amounts and often so that you have an ongoing supply rather than a glut.

You have plenty of room to work with so I would probably plant several different types of leafy greens. They're cut and come again so you don't need a huge number of each type.

Think about whether you want to bother with germinating your own seeds and transplanting them out or whether you'd rather buy established seedlings. Direct sowing seed tapes/seed mats is also an option.

Giving plants like cucumbers and tomatoes plenty of space will help with airflow and lessen the likelihood of some diseases. Decide in advance whether you're going to contain their growth by pinching off side shoots or just let them grow wild. Once they've already started growing into a chaotic mess it is much more work to bring them back under control.

Don't ignore problems. While they sometimes fix themselves, it's better to take a photo of the problem and ask. Someone on here will be able to identify the problem and suggest a solution.

Most of all, don't forget to have fun.

Comment

Cherry tomatoes Lizzano and Red Alert did ok for me on my sunny sheltered patio this summer. Both bush types, so not too big. If they grow in Edinburgh, I would hope they would be ok in Yorkshire.
            Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Radishes, they take just 6 weeks to mature.
              Salad leaves, all types especially cut and come again.
              Just harvest a few leaves and the plant will continue to grow.
              Potatoes, great for breaking up the ground.
              Tomatoes, Sweet Millions, Sungold, Ferline, Outdoor Girl.
              Good luck whatever you decide.
              Keep Asking the questions, always someone hear to answer.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Good luck with it!

Re spuds - I grow Sharpes Express (first early - ready from early July), Charlottes, (second early - ready from late July), Pink Fir Apple Main crop (lifted in early September). I plant them out before St Patrick's day, but I have no clear reasoning before that (my mum told me).

Comment

Again thanks for the woinderful replys.

I have had a change of mind after watching some videos. I'm going for raised beds. Why bust my back?

Gonna plant from seed too so can I sow them in my house?

Regards
                  Mike

Comment

It's good to start anything that needs a warm temperature to germinate on a sunny windowsill. Mine look like a jungle in spring.

Comment

Yes starting off indoors is great, it means that you can keep an eye on everything, watering etc. It will also mean than you will have a mini garden on your windowsill

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelD View Post

I have had a change of mind after watching some videos. I'm going for raised beds. Why bust my back?

Gonna plant from seed too so can I sow them in my house?

Regards
                        Mike
                        I have raised beds. They're definitely easier in some ways (I don't even own any proper gardening tools).

Have a look at some square foot gardening resources (we have a stickied thread) to get an idea of how to best utilise your space.

You can plant from seed as long as you have sufficient light and warmth. Either can be provided artificially. If you're going to plant from seed it's not a bad idea to find planting out dates and work backwards from there so you don't lose 4-6 weeks of the season.

Comment

I'd say add beans and peas to your list, can't grow wrong with them! Even I can grow a pretty hefty crop of beans, you only need a few plants, I wish weighed my crop off 14 plants, still eating them now.
                          Tools: I am never without my trowel in my hand, and a good fork, and a rake. Gets your beds all nice and lump free. I have two Dutch hoes and an English one, and scissors and a dibber. The things I don't use much are the spade, and the hand fork.
                          If you're starting off indoors don't forget to harden off before you plant out. A QA

Also, don't be afraid to try something. You learn just as much from failure as success, if not more.
                          And don't overthink it. Sometimes just ramming something in a random bit of ground gets amazing results! Sometimes doing everything 'right' just doesn't work. Shrug it off and move on....

Comment

I'm going to buy that "Huw" kids book. Seems like there will be some good info in there to work with alongside this forum. I''l get to building my beds and be back with a definitive list that I intend to grow this summer.

Comment

If I started now, with a raised outdoor bed, what could I harvest the earliest?

Comment

If I started now, from seed, with a raised outdoor bed, what could I harvest the earliest?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X