Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the secret?

dear all,
    I'm having trouble germinating my butternut squash seeds. They have been in my seed sprouter for ever and not a sign of life, as you may know from previous posts i've found this a very sucessful and speedy way of starting my seeds off.
    Now i have taken them out and chipped the hard coat putting them in a propogater with heat 20 degrees.
    Is there a secret other way or have i got a dud packet?
    Retirement is when you stop living at work and start working at living

maybe a dud packet - I'm having the same problem with my courgettes! it's driving me nuts. I normally have no issues and they're the easiest things to grow, but this year have already planted 10 seeds and not one of them has germinated. I'm blaming it on old seeds and just invested in some new ones.

How old are your seeds? If you've just bought them, check the expiry date on them as they may be old stock.

Comment

dear eskymo,
      Thanks for reply, i have all five of my courgettes come through, same method of sprouting in kitchen, they are into their second set of laeves now. Sorry its such a long way to fife or you could have had some.
      Seeds are fresh bought this year.
      Last edited by plot 11 pam; 24-04-2006, 04:55 PM.

Comment

I love this forum!

Thanks for the generous offer...but I guess I'll just wait on my next batch of seeds and see if they germinate.

cheers

Comment

plot 11 pam... I have butter nut squach seeds that all germinated and still have some going if you want some... check the seed swap threads if you want to know the variety etc, but I still have loads left if you want some
          Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Plot 11 Pam, at the risk of sounding mental the secret is wait for the feeling. I never set a date or go strictly by the calendar when planting seeds. I wait for a day when I KNOW this is the day on which everything will grow, and sure enough, there they are in no time. Wait for the feeling and plant your seeds again. Nuts? I don't think so. Live in rhythm with the seasons.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I think I have a dud packet as well (of courgettes) - have been waiting for ever and planted all and still no signs of life. Is it too late to buy a new packet and try again?
              Thanks
              Mel

Comment

Mel,

I havnt even planted my first sowing of courgettes yet....plenty of time to try again.

Alice, fantastic idea, had no idea you were of Jedi descendants....maybe you should speak to Jax about his voices!
                Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

I've just put some butternut squash seeds in the propagator & am waiting to see how long they take to germinate (they were free with GYO mag.)My courgettes were up within a couple of days of going in the propagator though so if yours are taking a long time they may be too old or could have rotted in the pot as one of mine had done(compost too wet I think)
                  Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

good news squash up

This morning the squash seeds are up, only three mind, but wow that heat has worked. Thanks for help and offers of plants.

Comment

My courgette seeds aren't up either. It was a brand new packet too. Makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong... Maybe I'll try with another packet.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Maybe this year just isn't for courgettes as mine have still not come up and I'm on my third packet. Tried different soils/composts too to see if that was the issue, but still not show. Very weird.

I have got two watermelon planted popping out of the soil though so I'm going to focus on those for a while instead...maybe if I mentally shift my focus onto other seedling the courgettes will pop up out of jealousy!

gardening can make you mad...maybe i was insane to begin with though!

Comment

I sowed squashes, marrows, courgettes and cucumbers on Easter saturday. The cucumbers wouldn't fit in the propagator but they have germinated just in the greenhouse. Some squashes (Crown Prince) were up within 3 days as were 2 of the courgettes since then though just one marrow has appeared until today when a butternut squash has come through. Amazing the difference in time. I will give the rest one more week and then I will re sow.
                          [

Comment

I usually poke around in the compost & investigate the seeds if they have not come up by the time I expect. That's how I found out one of the courgette seeds had rotted- found it ,squeezed it ,out came white ,squishy,smelly goo- dead & gone!
                            Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

I sowed courgette, squash and cucumber on 21 April. They are in the greenhouse but no sign of them yet. How long do they normally take and should I be worried yet?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X