No announcement yet.

plant id pls

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a gooseberry, having a lie down - might be able to make a guess at the variety when it is fully ripe.

Comment

Thanks again Nick, they have appeared on the road down from the house, a nice wee surprised!!
      sigpic

Comment

No problem - you quite often see gooseberry plants in the hedges and woods round here, but as they are usually without fruit a lot of people don't recognise them.

If it looks like a worthwhile type, they are very simple to propagate from cuttings a little later in the year.

Comment

Hi all, I thought posting these photos here would be better than starting a new thread.
          Would really appreciate getting an id on them?
          Thanks a lot.
          Attached Files

Comment

1 - looks like skimmia or daphne or viburnum!
            2 hebe
            3 & 4 What's all the white stuff or is it wet?
            Last edited by veggiechicken; 23-01-2020, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Hi All,

I just thought i would chip in here, there is a fantastic app called 'PlantNet' it is used for plant identification. i have used it a lot and it is very helpful, it is as simple as taking a pic and you get multiple results as close as possible. Give it a try.

I use an Android phone and not Apple so its on the google play store, not sure about the apple one for the iphones.

Best Regards.
              Last edited by AllotyD; 23-01-2020, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Forage420 View Post
                Hi all, I thought posting these photos here would be better than starting a new thread.
                Would really appreciate getting an id on them?
                Thanks a lot.
                1 is definitely bay. Those slightly crinkly-edged leaves are unmistakable. The flower buds seem to form early, too (mine has them already). Break a leaf and smell it if you want to double check.
                2 is hebe, as VC said.
                3 and 4 aren't the same plant, I think, even though the look similar.
                I think 4 might be buddleia, although I'm not certain.
                Really not sure about 3, but at a guess I'd say sage. Give the leaves a sniff and see.

Comment

Ahhh Bay! I'd forgotten that one. In my defence, the leaves on mine are wider and flatter - I'll check tomorrow. As ameno says - the smell is a giveaway.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    Ahhh Bay! I'd forgotten that one. In my defence, the leaves on mine are wider and flatter - I'll check tomorrow. As ameno says - the smell is a giveaway.
                    Leaf size and the length to width ratio can vary greatly depending on growing conditions and the size of the tree. The potted bay I have at home has fairly small leaves (2 inches long maximum) which are fairly long and thin, whereas the one I just dug out at the allotment had great big leaves (3-4 inches long) which were rather wider.
                    The crinkly leaf margins, and of course the smell, are the main ways to tell it's bay.

Comment

Out of interest, do people's bay trees usually flower? I was given a standard bay in a pot and wasn't expecting flowers (it's not been pruned in the 18 months I've had it). Do they smell nice or anything?
                      Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

^^^^^
                        Mine never has and it's 12years old.
                        But here is a thread from a few years ago...
                        https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...tml#post675560
                        Last edited by Nicos; 24-01-2020, 07:21 AM.
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I would also go with
                          Bay(sniff a crumpled leaf) hebe, sage (sniff a crumpled leaf), and buddleia too
                          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I think 3 is lambs ears (stachys lanata) and 4 is buddleia.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-la...-51604776.html
                            Last edited by Mitzi; 24-01-2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

My bay tree flowers most years, it's in a large pot in an unheated greenhouse and is about 9' high - think I grew it from a cutting about 30 years ago, but I might be wrong - memory is like a sieve these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                                ^^^^^
                                Mine never has and it's 12years old.
                                But here is a thread from a few years ago...
                                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...tml#post675560
                                When I posted in that thread to say mine had just flowered I must have jinxed it because its 10 year later and its not done it since.
                                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X