Planting autumn onion sets ...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting autumn onion sets ...

... Okay, I've bitten the bullet and received my autumn planting onion sets. Now, I know from other threads that some of you haven't done well with these, so before I even start, anyone got any tips more likely to give me success?? Best time to plant, feeding, any other hints you've found worked?
    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Make sure you plant them the right way up!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Plant them in late October, right side up as Snadger says, and not too deep, otherwise they can go 'bull necked' and wont store properly!

We planted 300 onion sets for overwintering, had quite a few start to go to seed (so they were processed and frozen), but still have lots that have dried, plus lots pickled and lots more onions that we grew from seed that have just been harvested!

This year we'll probably do about 150 overwintering onion sets, and the rest of our onions will be grown from seed, planted in the heated greenhouse at home in January!
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Cheers both! I bought them mail order and they arrived a couple of days ago. Will they be okay stored in my shed until late October? And do they need a particularly rich soil, I was planning to put some where my courgettes are currently and some in a container filled with a John Innes type compost?
        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X