Cropping at the same time as Elsanta, Sweetheart has
    attractive berries which are uniformly conic, larger and slightly darker
    than Elsanta, with good skin strength. Sweetheart is far less
    susceptible to bruising than Sonata

MAIN SEASON

Sonata

Sonata is an
    Elsanta - Polka cross that has rapidly become the second
    most widely planted June bearer in the UK.

LATE SEASON

Cupid

Cupid is one of the most interesting varieties to
    emerge from East Malling Research in that it is the
    only selection to carry commercially useful levels of
    resistance to four major diseases, namely Verticillium
    Wilt, Crown Rot, Black Spot and Powdery Mildew
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Mike.

If youre new to strawberries then I have a little tip for you.

At the end of the fruiting season, strawberries will grow runner shoot.
      This runner will start to grow a few leaves in a few different spots.

Make some pegs, (I usually make some from stiff wire) and peg the runner close to the ground where those leaves originate. You only need enough to stop it moving about in the wind.
      In a weeks time, it will start to root, after a few weeks you'll now have a number of free strawberry plants for next year.
      Once rooted, you can cut the runner, the babies are good to stand on thier own two feet (so to speak)

Generally strawberries will start to get lazy after about 3 years, so it doesn't hurt to get in to the mind set around August/september
      Last edited by keat63; 17-01-2019, 03:41 PM.

Comment

I thought my bare rooted strawberry plants were to pick up at the nearest Royal Mail pickup point the other day because I wasn't in for delivery. When I got there it was something else I had ordered and not them.

They arrived today The ground is rock solid with what seems like perma-frost

I wasn't going to pot them on but with the weather forecast for a protracted freeze,I suppose I will have to.

First thing tomorrow morning I will have to pop to B&Q and get some compost and 15 pots. After potting up they will spend their time on the spare bedroom windowsill until the freeze is over then they can go into a cold frame, still potted up of course.
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I have been and got the compost and pots from B&Q. Now all I have to suffer is the wrath of OH when I pot on the strawberries on the kitchen bench!

Wish me well.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Alls well that ends well. Apart from the compost bag having a small hole which dribbled cpmpost on the floor, managed to get all the strawberries potted up.
            Really impressed with the root system on the plants, it appears they have went down deeply into a sandy soil.
            Just marked the 5 pots of each, E,M and L and stood them on an unused bedroom windowsill. Once I see a bit of growth I will transfer them to a cold frame or greenhouse.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              I have been and got the compost and pots from B&Q. Now all I have to suffer is the wrath of OH when I pot on the strawberries on the kitchen bench!

Wish me well.

Oh! I know that feeling of Dread OH so well!

AP was so right with his reply me thinks!

"Septic Peg" }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}............WHOA, HA,HA HA, HA!

But there in Snage n all the best!
              "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

So a friend of mine has given me a packet of bare root Cambridge Favorite strawberries a few minutes ago. Apparently the garden center had an offer on and she didn't need that many. I did have a quick look into strawberries but decided against them but now I have some then im going to give it a go. Im guessing I need to get them potted up as soon as possible, however I have done very minimal research but im also guessing its too cold to pot them up outside, and they will need to be kept in the house for a while? Also will they be likely to fruit this year or will I be looking at next year?

Comment

On the subject of strawberries, please forgive me for going off on a tangent. Last week I was in Amsterdam and visited the flower market. I was looking for various flower seeds. among the packets of seeds I bought was a packet of Ruby Ann F1. Anyone have any information about this hybrid?

Comment

Never heard of them to be honest, but found this after a quick "Gurgle"

Product - Ruby Ann * F1 | ABZ Seeds
                    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Just an update on my bare rooters which I potted up into 4 inch pots.

They are doing well and leafing up on the bedroom windowsill. Only one of the 15 plants appears to have perished.

Just waiting for the white stuff to clear off so I can get them down the allotment and put them into a cold frame to harden off a bit before planting out.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Decided just to put the potted plants outdoors next to the patio doors. That way I can keep an eye on the watering and make sure they don't dry out. Likewise with the patio pear,plum and cherry I have.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Mine have looked like this ever since they've been in the pots. The window is sunny enough. Should I just dispose of the non green ones or could they be saved?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190226_215324__02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	2382488Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190226_215318__01__01__01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	2382489

Comment

Originally posted by benb89 View Post
                            Mine have looked like this ever since they've been in the pots. The window is sunny enough. Should I just dispose of the non green ones or could they be saved?[ATTACH=CONFIG]85385[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]85386[/ATTACH]
                            The plants with no green leaves on them look to me to be dead - I'd definitely get them away from the others. Having moved them, I'd have a dig around among the roots to try to see why they died.

Comment

In the late autumn I have resuced a runners from neigbour compost heap.I didnt have time so I just burry them in the soil and recently decided to move them into pernament patch.The amount of the roots they have developed its really incredible.

Comment

Only one of the fifteen I bought appears to have died which is deemed an acceptable loss by me.

I have still stuck the 'dead' one in he soil in the hope it may recover. If I had more than 10% which died, I think I would be approaching the seller in hope of some sort of recompense?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X