No announcement yet.

Advice on starting a raspberry patch

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got 3 Polka last year and temporarily potted them up in large pots.....and forgot to put them in the ground I'll get them in next week when I'm off work and doing a lot of work on the plot.

I also grow Joan J (autumn) and LOVE them for size and flavour I recently dug up 4 offshoots from my main plant and I'll get them planted next week too in a permanent bed.

I'll sort out some summer varieties at some point Got some growing behind the greenhouse and they're awesome.....got no idea what variety they are though as they ere already there when I took over the plot
    If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Gillykat View Post
      I got 3 Polka last year and temporarily potted them up in large pots.....and forgot to put them in the ground
      I'm pretty sure GQT showed they did better in pots (all else being equal) because the roots got really cold over winter which promoted fruiting. That's why it's worth cleaning grass etc out from around the canes in the autumn.

Heeled my new cane sin today. We have to start a new and hopefully isolated patch after some strange and devastating raspberry killing nightmare took out everything, including suckers two years ago.
      "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

I would suggest planning your planting with supports, possibly along a boundary/fence or dividing line between beds.

There are two lots of autumn fruiting raspberries that were planted by the previous tenant of my allotment, one group is wired in along the boundary but the other has no posts of any sort and is smack in the middle of the lower half of the plot, very in the way and untidy. I may yet move them but worry this could kill them. It is a bother.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X