No announcement yet.

Root Riots

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just been reading your comments on the Chatback thread, AP. Can you say what the problems were? I've been looking at these too. I'm hoping to do mostly paper pots this year, but time will slip away from me in a lot of cases, I know, so I'm being realistic. I'd be using them for germinating seeds, not for clones. Thanks for any advice.

Comment

Snoop, the seeds germinate brilliantly and the roots don't take long to come through the sides and bottom of the cubes . At that stage you absolutely need to pot the cubes up and surround the roots with compost for the roots to grow in to otherwise the seedlings just stop growing. . After potting up, I found that watering was an issue. They seemed to be drinking the stuff. Now, after they have been potted on again, that problem seems to have gone. I did sow a batch in root riots and a batch in a tray of compost which needed pricked out fairly shortly after germination and these also have been potted on again. As I type, there is no difference between the two batches.

So conclusion is that although the germination rate was better and no pricking out was needed with the Root Riots they caused a bit of hassle with watering and cost at £6 for a tray of 24 - 25p each.

I haven't yet tried them to root cuttings although I have seen pics of the developing root sytems in that process. Given that most plants being propagated cuttings would cost more than some onion plants, that would seem to be more cost effective.

If I was using them again for seeds, at the outset I'd be sinking the cubes into small pots of compost so that hopefully the watering issues would be avoided.

I hope that gives you enough info SNoop but just ask if you need to know any more.

Comment

That's brilliant info, AP. I was trying to work out what the problems were. I might still go ahead for some things. Surrounding them in compost would save buying any trays too. And I'm very happy to avoid pricking out. I'll give them a go for some of my expensive seeds.

Did you only use them for smallish seeds or did you try them with larger ones like courgettes?

Comment

I have ony used them for onions.

Comment

You must love your onions!

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
              You must love your onions!
              Thanks again.
              Ah, but does he know his onions?

had to put that in,
              AP, after using that guide you posted to let you know where the stockists are I bought a tray of 20 which I got for a fiver, though there were bags of 50 for £12. I bought the tray to trial them, but I have found that my soil blocker is quite successful with onion seeds as I can make small blocks for seed sowing, and once germinated place these into larger blocks, and after you saying watering was a problem I place all the blocks on to capillary matting which seems to work ok for now
              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

^That's interesting, Rary. Do you make a special mix for the soil blockers?

Comment

Snoop I used a 3-2-1 mix that's 3 of compost 2 of soil and 1 of course sand and water the water was added till I got the consistency I wanted, which is it holding together when pressed and not only felt but looked moist, I also put a bit of worm compost in with the mix even though it is said you don't need to feed seeds as I will not be transplanting the seedlings but moving on into larger blocks, if you look up soil blockers it might give you an idea what I am referring to you can also find a guide in how to make your own blocker, but after experiencing using one I reckon the same mix could be rolled into a ball by hand, flatten a top and bottom put a wee depression in the top and sow the seed into it, I will try this way myself and if it works I will sell you a soil blocker
                  it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

I watched Monty Don make his soil blocker mix. Not easy to find the ingredients here. But your mix sounds simple enough.

I'll try some root riots for my fancy seeds, paper pots for most things and washing-up bowls for onions. No special treatment for them here, I'm afraid.

Comment

Snoop, I have added 2 of vermiculite to the above mix, and it feels a bit more open but will let you know how it performs

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                        ^That's interesting, Rary. Do you make a special mix for the soil blockers?
                        Snoop I made up a mix this evening which was 2 compost 1&1/2 soil 1 of perlite and 1/2 of vermiculite and mixed with enough water to make it a mud pie mix (best way that I can describe it) I have now sown chard seeds in the blocks and will let you know how they do. I think some people make the process of the mix a wee bit more technical than is required, well that's what I hope they do I will let you know the results

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X