Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this a fig?

Is this a fig?

I've tried searching for what else it could be and nothings come up, but I live half way up a pennine in Yorkshire, so would be very surprised it it was.

Whatever it is. It's self seeded, and is about 12/18 inches tall, all this seasons growth. the stem is quite yellow, and the leaves furry, the stem is quite woody so its going to be a tree or shrub.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Jay-ell; 11-09-2018, 04:46 PM.

Ok how about this

Comment

Hi Ben, I was just fixing your attachment to see that you have figured it out yourself.

Welcome to the vine

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Hi Benji - certainly looks like a fig leaf!

Comment

It could be a fig. Different varieties of fig have different shaped leaves. Not sure about the furriness

What does the stem look like? What about the bit where the leaf joins the stem - any little bumps.

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Thanks all for your replies.

This is a picture of the stem.

When I say 'furry' I mean not smooth. Not hairy per se. Slightly rougher than a tomato stem.
            6.3 on the international roughness scale

Comment

Hello Benji and welcome.

Looks like a fig tree to me. They self-seed very readily and will cling on in even the shallowest of soils here.

If it is a self-seeded plant and has grown like that so far, you could be in luck for a nice harvest in a few years.

The number of hours of sunshine could be a problem, but they are surprisingly hardy. We get very high temps in summer, but we get heavy frost just about every night from mid-October to early April and have known winters as low as minus 17 ºC. Despite all that, there are plenty of fig trees round me that survive very well.

Do you have any plans for it?

Comment

I didn't have any plans for it. Its in a raised bed area that I built last year and left while doing other areas. I noticed it a couple of weeks ago, wondering what it could be, and I've googled around and not found anything, thus asking here.

The really weird thing. That bed hasn't had any compost on it, so it isn't even one I've eaten. Birds brought it in maybe?

Well looks like I've gained a fig tree

Comment

I was under the impression that figs grown in the UK are sterile because the fruit are pollinated by a type of wasp/fly that doesn't line in the UK.

― Thomas A. Edison

― Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X