No announcement yet.

Niwaki weeding hoe

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, I've settled on a Nejiri Kama hoe. Really looking forward to it arriving. Still pondering on the hori-hori. Mr Snoop says he'll get it for me as a belated Christmas present, but every time I look at it, I wonder if it will be uncomfortable in the hand because of the only slightly rounded edges of the handle, which looks quite big. Any views, Jay-ell? My span at full stretch is 19 cm. From the tip of my thumb to the tip of my index finger is 16 cm at full stretch.

Comment

Well, I've done it, I've ordered a hori-hori and a nejiri kama. Delivery sometime eventually. The hori-hori is a present from Mr Snoop, the nejiri kama is a present from me.

Thanks for the inspiration, guys. Them onions had better be good this year.
      Last edited by Snoop Puss; 31-01-2019, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Congrats SP, I'm sure you'll find the hoe really useful, can't yet comment on hori hori as haven't got myself one yet although really thinking about it as my dad has one he loves.

Comment

^Woke up this morning dreaming of transplanting leeks with my hori-hori. I'll let you know. I've got one with a plastic handle in the end. Not as nice or as good as wood, but a bit more manageable for my hand, I think. Will let you know.

Comment

Well, they've arrived. And the hori-hori is amazing. I think it's this one:
            https://www.primrose.co.uk/deluxe-ya...l?src=alt_prod
            And it fits my hand perfectly! Frankly, it's lethal. But I reckon it'll be a tool for life.

And the hoe is perfectly weighted. Really lovely.

Can't thank you guys enough. I'd never have got these without your inspiration.

Comment

Brilliant, glad you like em.

Comment

Both coming in for good use now. Love the hoe but love the hori-hori even more. An amazing tool. Thanks again, guys.

Comment

Can you get these with a slightly longer handle? I can't kneel or get down that low as easily as I used to. Mid length would be ideal but if they come with a long handle I can always cut it to the length I need

Comment

Jay-ell might have some advice on the hoe.
                    I don't think the hori-hori would come with a longer handle - don't think it would be safe!

Comment

I've not seen them with longer handles (I think the technical term for that is a spear) and I'm not sure that having a long handle would work as well - at least not the way that I use it.

I use it to grub around weeds (with a longer handle you'd end up having to lean it into the bed further and getting the control with a long handle might be tricky), digging holes holding Norman Bayes style or like a trowel.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I stand corrected there's this one from the US

https://www.shovelandhoe.com/Long_Ha...15L_p/383l.htm

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Their idea of a long handle doesn't seem very long, at all
                          1.75" x 6.5" head. 14.5" overall

But thanks for looking for me

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                            Their idea of a long handle doesn't seem very long, at all

But thanks for looking for me
                            I know it's not a hori hori, but what about this;
                            https://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck...le-8-x-4/25947
                            sigpic

Comment

Thanks, I've already got a 3inch wide spade - an ancient thing, at some time probably a child's one It's brilliant for planting things through holes in weed control fabric.

I may have to try something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garden-To...sAAOSwBkBb6qie
                              Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 09-05-2019, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X