No announcement yet.

New gardener in a wheelchair

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, Wheelie. The raised table type of bed sounds like it could be just the thing. You could also think about hanging baskets at the appropriate height.

Oh, and welcome!

Edited to add: sorry if you've already seen this, but I thought there might be some useful tips here:
    http://learn.eartheasy.com/2010/02/w...ardening-tips/
    Last edited by Snoop Puss; 25-07-2017, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadalot View Post
      Hi Wheelie welcome to the vine

Take a look at 10 Best Raised Garden Beds 2016 Video for ideas https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMXOqUAQzUs
      Thanks Cadalot. I've been looking at loads of different types thanks to you. I got carried away on YouTube and 2hrs passed by. I thought I'd only been looking 10 minutes!

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
        Hi, Wheelie. The raised table type of bed sounds like it could be just the thing. You could also think about hanging baskets at the appropriate height.

Oh, and welcome!

Edited to add: sorry if you've already seen this, but I thought there might be some useful tips here:
        Eartheasy BlogWheelchair Gardening Tips - Eartheasy Blog
        Wow! Thanks Snoop. Another place I can go look at stuff. I'm so glad I joined here. I didn't really know where to start before.

Comment

HI Wheelie,welcome to the forum,another thought for you,is there another resident,or a handy/maintenance man,that would be willing to help,welldone you,
          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Hi Wheelie and welcome from me as well. Not much to add in terms of the raised beds as lots of good ideas already. Hope you enjoy your veggie growing and keep popping on here - ask questions and you might even get sensible answers occasionally
            Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Hi Wheelie,
              Am trying to sort out a wheelchair garden for a friend. The charity Thrive has been a huge help with information Thrive, charity using gardening and horticulture to change the lives of disabled people. Apart from the trugs you can get made or buy, is the ground beneath stable & firm enough even in bad weather (zipping out to harvest/protect plants if needed)?

We're likely to have a combination of the vegtrug style thingies to scoot the chair under and some (very) raised planters along her fence edge in the shape of an 'E' and in varying heights so she can garden sideways on, probably made from WoodBlocX because access to her garden to build things is through the house and this is easier.

One thing also to think about early on is watering - will you be using a hose or can you sort out some form of irrigation. Hose + wheelchair = 'interesting'...

Apologies if this is going over old ground for you.
              http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
                Hi Wheelie,
                Am trying to sort out a wheelchair garden for a friend. The charity Thrive has been a huge help with information Thrive, charity using gardening and horticulture to change the lives of disabled people. Apart from the trugs you can get made or buy, is the ground beneath stable & firm enough even in bad weather (zipping out to harvest/protect plants if needed)?

We're likely to have a combination of the vegtrug style thingies to scoot the chair under and some (very) raised planters along her fence edge in the shape of an 'E' and in varying heights so she can garden sideways on, probably made from WoodBlocX because access to her garden to build things is through the house and this is easier.

One thing also to think about early on is watering - will you be using a hose or can you sort out some form of irrigation. Hose + wheelchair = 'interesting'...

Apologies if this is going over old ground for you.
                Hello Sparrow. How kind of you to help the lady with her garden. I have seen the woodblocx stuff. Very nice, but way too expensive for me.

The patch of ground I am using is very sturdy underneath. The complex I have moved to was refurbished 3yrs ago. Everything was new including landscaping and turf. It seems they must have run out of turf for this last bit and all that's there underfoot, is that plastic honeycomb shaped underlay. I am thinking of laying down some gravel to stop the weeds coming up and putting all my beds and containers on top.

As for watering and hosing. I just so happen to have a carer who is moving into a ground floor flat here this week, and she is conveniently right opposite where my garden will be. I intend to tell her tomorrow, that if she doesn't let me use her tap for a hose then she's fired!
                I do have one slight concern though. I'm sure it's no biggie. I noticed today that the area is on a very slight slope. I don't think it's enough to be troublesome, but I might have to shove something underneath one end of some containers to level them up.

I'm so enjoying coming in here. You have all been so helpful. Thank you

Comment

Hi wheelie welcome to the vine
                  I can't really add to the advice you've already been given, just wanted to say hello

Comment

Hello and welcome Wheelie, I seem to recall there are some hanging basket devices designed to make watering and dead heading practical. Essentially you pull down the basket, attend to it, give it a tug and the wire retracts (like a steel tape measure) taking the basket back to height. Something like this and a hook/walking stick would give you command of those pesky high rise items.
                    Heres the kind of thing.
                    https://www.rapidonline.com/Draper-4...iABEgII2vD_BwE

I'm sure other brands and suppliers are available, I have no affiliation.

If you put your location in someone local might be able to assist further.

Comment

If you have your planters tailor made the joiner should take the ground levels in to account for you
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Age 71. Sheltered housing. Small courtyard. Bought a veg trug September now already harvesting salad leaves, sown dwarf broad beans, winter radish, planted strawberries,and curly kale. Well worth the cost. It's ok to say get one built by a handyman but they do not come cheap. Reckon it will last five years at least, well worth it.

Comment

just stumbled across this thread.

the apartment complex I stayed in before moving to the country were very stuffy about allowing me to do any kind of gardening. I bought one of those cheap multi port strawberry planters and planted it up with a variety of herbs. stuck it near the main door with a help yourself sign. within a week or two if anyone would have interfered with me growing things the residents would have lynched them

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X