No announcement yet.

How to fix a shed?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The trouble with that particular shed is it`s construction...cheap! the up-rights are too small for doing a "proper job", for stability I would suggest getting some 5` long x 3" square posts (4) or possibly old scaffold poles, and bang them in outside of each corner, this will need two of you of course but is a solid fix. As to the gaps, you could go for the spray expanding foam, this will cure oversized, but you can easily trim it with a stanley knife. As to the felt roof, either get some-one to refelt it for you, or get buiders plastic sheeting and have it tacked down with some wood lathes at the ends, that would be ok for the short term only.
    All depends on how much you have in the piggy bank I suppose.
    Girls are like flowers, a little attention every day and they`ll blossom.

Comment

It looks like its rotten uprights which is causing it to lean or its missing a few important screws .either way just had some new 2x2 uprights and a couple or cross bars and should be ok .
      When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Comment

If it were me, I'd dismantle it, level the base, rebuild it and then felt it. Anything else is just a bodge job. It should be pretty simple to dismantle if you have some help... Just a couple of screws in each panel.

Lift the slabs, rake the ground level. If you have access to some sand you could just build up the level with some sand, relay the slabs using a spirit level to check it's even.

No point worrying about the gaps until you've got it square and level. Some of the gaps might close up.
        No point felting it when it's got a lean and gaps in the sides as when you dismantle it to do the job properly in 6 months time you'll rip the felt to dismantle it!

As has already been said, 4 sheets of ply or osb on the inside would strengthen the structure and make any gaps largely irrelevant.

Comment

Yesterday I had some helpers.

It has over time, worked its way off the slabs on the left hand side (probably due to the wind that pushes in that direction and the supports it is sits on have rotted on the ground. We've raised it a good few inches with plastic decking board offcuts which has levelled it quite a lot (though opened the gaps bigger). We've refelted the apex as there were huge gaps there. Today we're going to see if we can bang in some new support posts as the ones that were there don't even touch the shed anymore. Then I've got a load of weatherproof caulk to attempt to fill the gaps.

I had a wander around the site and there's a couple with doors falling off and no felt on the roof so I don't feel quite so bad now about the state of mine.

Comment

can you close and open the door now KKK? you can also put felt on the sides of the shed to seal it if youv'e got any spare ! atb Dal.
            Last edited by Dalrimple; 03-03-2017, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Yes the door now opens and closes properly meaning I can actually lift things in and out which is great. I need to rehang it at some point though as it's now on quite a slope with a few inches gap at the top but that will be a task for another day. I was using the end of someone elses roll of felt so not much to spare. If the sealant doesn't work that will be my next move.

Comment

well done it's your shed now and it's down to a bit of tlc . atb Dal.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X