Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good for you!
    OH has 2 and plays with them regularly
    Watch a few YouTube vids on using them ...safety aspects..also when things go wrong( some are Darwin Award candidates in the making)
    Kick back is one of the unexpected things causing major injuries...plus wood/branches twisting and hitting you....plus poor tension on a chain.

I bought my OH a packet of what I call 'battlefield powder' in case he severely cuts himself as we're at least 30 mins from a&e and is often is on his own cutting wood.
    If anyone is interested I can get the name if the product?

Basically, be safe and have loads of fun Snadge!
    (You can open it one handed and pour it into the wound and it blocks the bleeding)
    Last edited by Nicos; 18-01-2017, 07:14 AM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have one which gets an outing a couple of times a year, trick is relax when using it. If you are tense it works against you. Make sure you keep an eye on the chain tension and as BM says keep it sharp and well oiled.

Comment

Remember steel toe capped boots as a basic minimum as footwear !

We often see young lads over here in jeans, T shirts and trainers wielding chainsaws above their heads, or cutting wood they are standing on
        Beggars belief!
        You can see them raise an eyebrow or 2or3 when OH gets all togged up to cut wood.
        Nancy boy maybe as far as they are concerned, but at least he's never (hopefully) going to be severely injured and will walk away with all his bodily parts!

OH...and one piece of advice OH was given when he bought his-never lend it to anyone unless they already own and have used one.

Comment

I have had a Stihl for nearly 10 years for cutting logs for the stove, best bit of ppe is deffo the proper trousers, mine are Stihl and they are made to stop the chain by snagging it full of fibres. I'm afraid leather will not stop a chain at full throttle. If cutting down trees you really should do a course, everyone knows how to use a saw, but not everyone knows how to do it safely.

Comment

wonderful and nasty tools all in one.

I had an overgrown hedge of multi trunked sycamore etc. at the foot of the garden. I bought a mid range electric chainsaw (£85) to do just that one job and it died as I finished the job. In fact a neigbour had access to a petrol saw and finished some of the larger trunks for me. Hedge is now managable and at a cost of £85 all in it was a bargain. BUT I wouldn't advise people to undertake such things lightly, I had some advice from a cousin who is an arbourist the best of which was - don't!

Get fully informed before you play with petrol chainsaws, they have a bad reputation for a good reason! The right trousers and a face mask/ear defenders are a minimum. Please stay safe people, we need you the shape you are!

Comment

Flippin eck! I didn't know you cared so much about my bodily parts!

I'm used to using Stihl saws on concrete and steel and have a healthy respect for anything that could do me damage.

i practically live in steel capped footwear, including wellies! I once went on holiday with steel cappers on and had the cops reaching for there guns at the airport when I went through the metal detector. They took quite a bit of convincing it was a packet of extra strong mints in my pocket anall!

The only thing i am missing is a pair of chainsaw trousers and ankle spats but they can come later when somewhere or other has a sale on!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Keep the chain well sharpened, like a blunt knife they are more dangerous if you start putting pressure on them. Regards the carving, you'll need a special pointy blade to do the detailed work.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                  Don't forget to pick up one of these Snadge, they are worth their weight in gold:

Handy Parts HP-106 () 5/32" Chainsaw File & Guide | Accessories | Screwfix.com
                  I've got a Screwfix just riound the corner from where i live, so thats handy!
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snage!

I have 4! and honest! it is one serious piece of kit you have to have respect for, as they deffoe take no prisoners!

as mentioned previously! at least eye protection, gloves and "Chainsaw pants" as the fibres clog n stop it if you do have a mishap!
                    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      Flippin eck! I didn't know you cared so much about my bodily parts!

The only thing i am missing is a pair of chainsaw trousers and ankle spats but they can come later when somewhere or other has a sale on!

No!...don't wait for the sales....don't even attempt to chainsaw without them!..,really!
                      ..unless you are an Olympic champ in the 3 legged race or are a world champ hopper..
                      Seriously...don't!!!!!

One second and you will regret it for your whole life

Comment

Some of us can remember 40 years ago using chainsaws before any protection was invented, but then again I have seen gas fitters use a match to search for a small gas escape neither would be acceptable today thank goodness.

We knew the risks involved but had to get on with the job, today we try to mitigate those risks to ourselves and others.
                        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                          No!...don't wait for the sales....don't even attempt to chainsaw without them!..,really!
                          ..unless you are an Olympic champ in the 3 legged race or are a world champ hopper..
                          Seriously...don't!!!!!

One second and you will regret it for your whole life
                          Been looking at some second hand pairs on fleebay!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Those steel toe-capped boots have zero VAT so may be a better buy than the others even for more mundane jobs.
                            Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I'm sure you are already aware Snadge & I've not seen it mentioned but correct chain tension is also important:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZq7ZDBx4iA
                              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                              --------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                              -------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                              -----------------------------------------------------------
                              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Before you go to Screwfix, you may want to watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJUcCwzDgbw
                                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                                -----------------------------------------------------------
                                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X