Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to see what I made? What can I put in it?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gardening_gal
    replied
    Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
    Have a look through these for some inspiration Susie:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=st...w=1366&bih=668
    Just looked through that link and saw this..

DIY Upcycled Book Planter | The Go Green Blog

I wish I'd seen that before I took loads of old books to the charity shop.

I love the inventiveness some people have.

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied
    Have a look through these for some inspiration Susie:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=st...w=1366&bih=668

Leave a comment:

• noviceveggrower
    replied
    Wow its lovely. Seemed to of been beaten by suggesting clematis but how about fragrant sweet peas. You can have the smell, lovely colours and flowers for the bees and the house. They should keep going until the first frosts

Leave a comment:

• gardening_gal
    replied
    Will do, lol.

Leave a comment:

• SusieG
    replied
    Lol!!
    Post some piccies then when you've finished ---- I might just have to copy it ...!!

Leave a comment:

• gardening_gal
    replied
    Susie, like I said I make things up as I go along so I don't have a plan to follow. Sorry I'm off no help right now. All I know is that it will slant and have steps.

It might have round holes to sit pots into rather than box type things to plant in, but I might change my mind again once I start.

Leave a comment:

• SusieG
    replied
    Originally posted by gardening_gal View Post
    Thank you. I have already made things from pallets.
    I do have a pallet slats in the garage that I'm collecting just now. Once I have enough decent ones, I want to make a ladder style planter next.
    GG, have you got photo/plans you can share for your ladder style planter ....??
    I have 3 pallets begging to be made use of ....!
    Last edited by veggiechicken; 04-06-2016, 11:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ms-T
    replied
    That looks lovely.

Leave a comment:

• 1Bee
    replied
    Carouby de mausanne (sp?) mangetout. Lovely lilac flowers and delicious peas.

But I think I'd go mad with squashes.
    Last edited by 1Bee; 04-06-2016, 07:36 PM. Reason: DYAC

Leave a comment:

• gardening_gal
    replied
    Originally posted by SaraJH View Post
    How easy/ difficult was that to make GG? Did you also make the trellis yourself?

I've just been looking at decking planters on fleabay and the are sooooo expensive!!
    Yes I made it all up as I went along. The deck boards were full 2.4m lengths and I used 3x2's for the corner posts.

I have good (but ageing!) power tools, Makita mitre saw, Dewalt nail gun, Feinn MultiMaster etc etc. if I had to do it all just with hand tools I think I'd have thought twice. I'm not as young or as fit as I was. The biggest issue was the fact I change my mind so many times about what I want.

Once you decide on a plan it's just a case of working out what goes where, like a jigsaw really. The other issue (for me at least) is that the wood can be quite heavy and I get tired so it takes me a while to put it all together. I'm sure some big burly bloke would have whipped it up in a couple of hours but it took me a couple of days, lol.

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
    That's brilliant GG. With those sort of skills have you thought about using pallet type wood, I saw some bits in the garden centre not nearly as good as yours.
    Thank you. I have already made things from pallets. I get them from the local farm. I've made some small low planters / shelves for garage / bits and bobs. Nothing too big. (Yet!)

This particular planter had to look kinda decent as it will be seen from the road and I didn't want my neighbour in particular to have any complaints about it so I chose to use 'proper' wood.

I do have a pallet slats in the garage that I'm collecting just now. Once I have enough decent ones, I want to make a ladder style planter next.

Leave a comment:

• craftymarie
    replied
    It looks absolutely beautiful. I'd love something like that for our garden. I will dream on

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bones
    replied
    That's brilliant GG. With those sort of skills have you thought about using pallet type wood, I saw some bits in the garden centre not nearly as good as yours.

Leave a comment:

• SaraJH
    replied
    How easy/ difficult was that to make GG? Did you also make the trellis yourself?

I've just been looking at decking planters on fleabay and the are sooooo expensive!!

Leave a comment:

• Jay-ell
    replied
    I'd second the diagonal bracing as the diagonal wouldn't be able to stretch or shrink and would stop the frame leaning to the side. The horizontal and vertical slats wouldn't necessarily stop them by themselves as they don't need to stretch or shrink to lean over.

Leave a comment:

• gardening_gal
    replied
    Thanks for the comments everyone. It's the first thing in ages I've actually liked building.

I was at the garden centre today looking for something to just jump out at me shouting 'rehome me in the planter' but the problem was I wanted to put everything in the planter. I left with some marigolds.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X