Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New way of constructing veggie beds, more efficient watering, increased yields !

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You say you had more crops but how did you grow crops previously to this system?
    How do you feed your crops if at all?
    Do you fill the pallets to the top with stones? If not, do you notice a difference in your growing season as you are creating an air pocket which I would have thought has an effect on soil temp.?
    What actually gave you this idea?
    A lot of people at the show said it was a good solution to run up the centre of their polytunnels.

Others talked about strawberry patches.

A: The box section is only 2 4" slats wide and you only fill it to the level of the first slat, so 4" worth of stones. Otherwise it would be too heavy to shift.
    A: There are no air pockets, the water flows straight through the stones.

The idea possibly started when I worked in a professional tomato greenhouse for a season and noticed they grew them in paired rows but had water hoses for each row, which I thought was a bit of a waste and inefficient.

Comment

One last question from me as I'm still not convinced but somebody may be..........can one person lift these constructions when removing them?
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I wish you luck. Unfortunately I feel you seem to lack any real evidence.

I think anyone interested in this system should look at keyhole gardening as that incorporates a composting system and doesn't have so much long term faff. An even simpler take is drilled soil pipe and mound round it

Comment

Once the dividers are half filled with stones they are still easily liftable however if you have another bod it would make it less work to quickly grab a handle each and lift them out and over to their dry winter home.

Comment

a system that doesn't have so much long term faff
            If thats the only negative criticism to be made against this new planting bed system "thats it a bit of a faff"... I would call this a weak negative.

But then again you could make that comment against having an allotment in the first place. Do you know what, struggling against the vageries of the British weather to grow a limited set of vegetables, its a bit of a faff. I don't think i'll bother. I'll just go down to Morrisons instead and buy a single pepper wrapped in polythene for my tea.

But then again a forum post that is almost 4K visits to this post, 100 visitors to my website and some orders would kind a suggest there is something in it.

Hope I don't come across as being too precious... but its just I believe enough in the idea to spend 'hard earned ' and time on it.

Comment

I wouldn't base a business on those stats. I really do wish you luck but I honestly can't see any market or benefits to digging a hole and sticking a pallet in it.

I just don't buy the increased crop or yield potential based on your last season.

Like I said good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by no_akira View Post
                If thats the only negative criticism to be made against this new planting bed system "thats it a bit of a faff"... I would call this a weak negative.

But then again you could make that comment against having an allotment in the first place. Do you know what, struggling against the vageries of the British weather to grow a limited set of vegetables, its a bit of a faff. I don't think i'll bother. I'll just go down to Morrisons instead and buy a single pepper wrapped in polythene for my tea.

But then again a forum post that is almost 4K visits to this post, 100 visitors to my website and some orders would kind a suggest there is something in it.

Hope I don't come across as being too precious... but its just I believe enough in the idea to spend 'hard earned ' and time on it.
                Are you actually after criticism? I ask because when ever you requote someone you pick and choose what to respond too. I have already asked and repeated that you seem to lack evidence but as yet you have not elaborated on proof of the system. It also worries me that people are buying into something that is not proven. There are lots of systems of growing and it is what works for the individual keyhole gardening, raised beds, lasagne beds, hot beds, permaculture etc. etc. The difference between the ones I mentioned from yours is they are proven methods.

Also I don't know what your issue is at allotments and allotmenteers but you come across a little negative.

Lastly, you will find that as part of the T+C's of the forum you are not to promote goods for sale either directly or via a blog.

Comment

This Forum has many open minded members who are interested in new concepts, therefore you can expect to have a lot of views of your posts and website. However, it would be unfair to use us as a sounding board for the development of your "product". We are not part of your design team!!

If you are touting your "product" here with the aim of taking orders, then I suggest you discuss it with Admin who will expect an advertising fee from you.

Comment

OK, I'm going to try one last time. What are you selling? I understand your idea and the use of pallets (although disagree that it's only a bit of a faff, it sounds like much more of a pain than anything else I do) but after reading all the posts, looking at the website and asking a couple of times already, I am still no clearer as to the business plan as it all seems to be stuff you can find for yourself.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

A quick update on the how the redesigned pallet dividers have been working out so far this year.

This is two dividers with a bean frame attached. The French beans have been doing really well. Had the first batch over the past 10 days. Still got the mid crop & top half to go.

The Sun flowers are doing well again they do need lots of water.

Only ever water through the pallet voids.

Another idea, heras panel expandable cloche for my chilli peppers and aubergines. Not sure how successful the aubergines are going to be but they're doing better than last year so fingers crossed.
                      NOTE: The pallet divider is the crucial part of this design as the cloche hinges off it. Also rain running off the cloche goes into the pallet voids... very clever.

Already had earlies & second earlies out of this openbook bed and now planted marrows on one side and squashes on the other.

Potatoes were not as good as expected due to poor soil and having the pallet divider too deep. The water deflector needs to be a little bit above the planted seed potato. Will try again next year.

My cucumber keyhole garden with wind shade is also giving me a good crop but again is taking nightly water through the gravel in the tyre.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by no_akira; 01-08-2016, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Heras panel for a cloche can I see the chilli fruit?

I think Alison has been waiting sometime for an answer too

Comment

Do you think having wood underground like that will act like a wick & attract any moisture to it,away from the plant roots causing less efficient watering? Good luck with trying new methods with your redesigned pallet!

Comment

Hurrah Jungle_jane that is the first clever question that I have been asked about this design.

And yes you are right I think there is some suck back going on. Ideally I would like to make the whole design out of recycled plastic with just the above ground horizontal planks in wood.

+ The way round this is to set the plants only about 5" from the divider
                            + There is not that much of the pallet divider buried as the plastic divider is deflecting most of the water.
                            + Also depending on plants eg courgettes, water daily or every other few days.

I did state weekly watering which is wrong, I water daily.

Comment

Hurrah Jungle_jane that is the first clever question that I have been asked about this design.
                              Hmm, or perhaps the only question you want to answer?

Have you got any photos of the crops you've harvested so far?
                              Last edited by Scarlet; 01-08-2016, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Cool your boots Miss Leigh, you are feisty...

I was late constructing the cloche and the chillies and aubergine are still at an early stage. One chilli plant went in few weeks earlier and is further along.

I'll upload photos of crops tomorrow just for you...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X