X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark the Bodger
    replied
    Thank you for all your posts,
    I will have a go and put it in a position where the birds are less likely to fly that way.
    I like the idea of putting a wrought iron gate in front of it, I bet that looks good, plus I think it would help with the birds. Another thought though... I have a pesky cat that comes into the garden maybe if I positioned it right it might scare itself away!

Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• Coopers
    replied
    Just as an example of sun reflecting:

'Walkie-Talkie' skyscraper melts Jaguar car parts - BBC News

Obviously the story above is on a larger scale.

Personally I wouldn't worry about fire though, you could always direct it to some key veg and get cooked veg each day after work. Beats using slow cooker...

I'd be more concerned about the birds. But then maybe give it a go and see what happens...

Leave a comment:

• rary
    replied
    BM I wonder how many Grapes would be able to walk past without preening themselves

Leave a comment:

• Potstubsdustbins
    replied
    #9 You would not want to get the wrong side of that silver back.

Leave a comment:

• Lumpy
    replied
    I have 2 mirrors side by side in a corner to reflect back into a shady one and thankfully have never had a bird problem.
    It could be because the hedge is behind the mirrors and the little shed is only 6ft opposite so our resident flock of sparrows don't seem to notice them.

Leave a comment:

• WendyC
    replied
    We did have a fire in the Close, when one neighbour's fence caught fire due to the next door neighbour having one of those chrome ball water features next to the fence. It had the sun on it, reflected onto the fence which caught fire.
    Do worry about birds and mirrors too.

Leave a comment:

• Snadger
    replied
    I put one in my hen run! Chooks reacted to it by pecking it and moving there heads from side to side to try and catch it out!

Leave a comment:

• Bonsai Si
    replied
    Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
    As long as you put it facing away from the sun there should be no problem.
    The simplest answers are ALWAYS the best!

Leave a comment:

• Bigmallly
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bill HH
    replied
    I would reflect on the issue

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    Gosh- I hadn't thought about that!

Leave a comment:

• Martin H
    replied
    I've been put off using mirrors in the garden from stories of people picking up dead birds on a regular basis, where the birds have flown straight into the mirror at full speed.

I wouldn't fancy that at all.

I wasn't sure if this was an urban myth, but a quick search shows the RSPB worries about this too: The RSPB: Ask an expert: Will a mirror in my garden confuse birds?

I wouldn't be worried about fire risk though, as long as the mirror isn't concave it can't focus the sun's rays.

Leave a comment:

• Jay22
    replied
    My daughters neighbour has one on the wall at the end of their garden. They have placed an old wrought iron gate on it, because the mirror reflects the garden it looks as though it's a door through to another part of the garden making it look huge. I was very impressed when I saw it.

Leave a comment:

• Glutton4...
    replied
    As long as you put it facing away from the sun there should be no problem.

Leave a comment:

• Nicos
    replied
    I'm no more knowledgable!

...but I have the same thoughts....it's just a direct reflection of the sun's rays, not a refraction through a lens.
    Perfectly safe in my opinion if there is just one mirror involved.

It's not a special bathroom mirror, so it will get moisture into it causing it to mottled ...but that's probably going to be fine for a few years?

Forget the tip...I'd put it up in the garden...bet it'll look lovely!

Piccie please if you do go ahead!

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X