seed organisation / storage

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I currently have 5 seed tins on the go

My seeds are sorted in to 'sow by' years, one tin for out of date stuff/leftovers that needs sowed by this year/next year, another for stuff that hasn't been opened and will be for next year, then the stuff I've just gotten and will be for the year after etc.

I don't see it as a problem using old seeds, yeah germination might not be high but I still get a decent amount of plants. Most seed sow by dates are a guide to be ignored.
    Remember it's just a bad day, not a bad life 😁

Comment

I have one box, then just bundle seed packets into groups (brassicas, roots, tenders, legumes etc) and bung an elastic band around them. Works for me!
      He-Pep!

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^As above old tin and elastic bands.
        Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Biscuit tins. One for veg, one for flowers. Going to need another this year to split up the veg seeds as I can't actually close the lid, it's got a heavy book on it holding it shut.

As I don't always write down what I've sown when, I also keep all the empty seed packets so I'll have some idea next year what I sowed this year. They are in the seed tins too. Maybe I should get a tin just for them.
          or perhaps just a bigger tin....

Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

Just read an interesting clipping - just after the war, you had to return empty biscuit tins to your grocer because there was no spare tin-plate to make new ones, and they were returned to the biscuit manufacturer. Without returned tins, they couldn't deliver more biscuits!
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

I buy the 2.5 litre plastic bottles of deionised water for my iron, and have cut the top off one, to store my seeds.

Some months ago someone was about to give away a tall storage box. Our communal shed door can't be locked but we do have a padlock for the greenhouse, so I took the storage box, and walked it into the greenhouse where it fits nicely. The box with the seeds goes on the shelf at the top. I bought a padlock for the storage too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarz View Post
                I buy the 2.5 litre plastic bottles of deionised water for my iron, and have cut the top off one, to store my seeds.

Some months ago someone was about to give away a tall storage box. Our communal shed door can't be locked but we do have a padlock for the greenhouse, so I took the storage box, and walked it into the greenhouse where it fits nicely. The box with the seeds goes on the shelf at the top. I bought a padlock for the storage too.
                Yours might be different so ignore me if that is the case but it would be too hot in my greenhouse to store seeds properly. They last best kept in cool and dark conditions.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X