X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    I agree - who needs a weed free lawn?
    What "weeds" do you want rid of, Jen?
    Its mostly dandelions, some tufts of crab grass and this other weed not quite sure what its called but it looks like a green in-turned buttercup there is not much of it since we skimmed the lawn but I dont want it spreading.
    If you want to view paradise
    Simply look around and view it.

Comment

You can get Ortho Weed B Gone on Amazon but only from the States which cost an arm & a leg in P&P.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I don't know what crabgrass is

Comment

I don't know what crabgrass is
          I think it is that horrible grass that grows fast, with thick but weak stems, and they tend to grow outwards, horizontally. It might well be what some call Yorkshire Fog.Basically weed grass.

Comment

Originally posted by ButternutSquash View Post
            I think it is that horrible grass that grows fast, with thick but weak stems, and they tend to grow outwards, horizontally. It might well be what some call Yorkshire Fog.Basically weed grass.
            Do you mean couch grass?

Sorry, just realised I've directed this at the wrong person as it wasn't you that mentioned it in the first place.
            Last edited by Alison; 01-08-2014, 09:47 PM.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Am I missing something here? If you mow your lawn it doesn't matter what grass it is

Comment

Unless you are wanting to play bowls or golf on it Jen, I'd just cut & enjoy it.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Am I missing something here? If you mow your lawn it doesn't matter what grass it is
                  Depends if you want a nice lawn or a rough meadow. Weed grasses grow faster and stick out like a sore thumb. Apparently you can kill them by scoring the centre with a knife. Yorkshire Fog can be hand weeded when small. I have friends who only care about edible plants in their garden, anything else is a weed.

Yorkshire Fog:

Weeds - Grass Weeds Information and Photo Gallery - Yorkshire fog

Comment

Doesn't bother me so long as it's basically green

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

I like the mossy bits in my "lawn". Doesn't need mowing

Comment

My dad used to say you can only have a "lawn" if you don't tread on it, everybody else has grass at best

Comment

Must admit I tried white vinegar and found my weeds here thrived on it! I would advise you NOT to use any herbicide or chemicals as even the 'oh so safe' stuff like glyphosate or 'Round up' pollutes water courses, kills numerous invertebrates and water creatures and certainly does NOT become inactive when it touches the soil. Monsanto's own publicity material lists numerous plants that should not be planted within several weeks of an application.

Unless you are after a 'bowling green' lawn with nary a weed in sight, and who really wants that, then just rely on hand weeding and a pinch of salt on the most persistent weeds like dandelions.

I have used various weedkillers and products over 30 years of gardening, but I have always come back to the basic slog of pulling weeds out, feeding and regular trimming and cutting of grass. Interesting this morning to hear on Radio 4's Farming programme how numerous wheat crops are now being afflicted by herbicide resistant 'black grass' which is ruining crops. That is where we will all be if we keep using these common herbicides, with weeds that nothing will control.

End of rant!

But you know it makes sense.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X